Adding another Hard Drive

vbimport

Hi,
I was trying to add an IDE Hard Drive to my system running Windows XP. It was actually an HDD that was already installed on another computer. After setting it up, ypon restarting, I thought a wizard would come up asking to partition and format, as it usually does whenever a new HDD is installed. Instead, nothing happened. there was no wizard. When I opened My Computer, I found two new drives. May be it is because it was an old drive. Moreover, the total of these two drives did not add up to the size of the drive. About 40 GB is missing. It could be that this space is occupied by the OS already installed on the drive, when it was on the other system. Or can it be? Both the drives are empty.
I want to combine both the drives. I don’t want two: I want only one volume. And I want to reclaim that lost space. How can I do this?
Thanks for any help.

Right-click on My Computer and select “Manage” - “Computer Management” will open in a new window.

Go to Disk Management.

There you can find your harddrives (and optical drives), and you can remove and create partitions/drives by right-clicking on the relevant part of the disk.

Be careful to select the added disk, not your existing system disk.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will do as instructed.

Hello,
I did as I was told, and THAT problem was solved. But then came a new one. I tried to use it on the same cable where the DVD drive is connected. I connected the end point to the HDD, and the middle one to DVD Drive. Then neither worked. I mean, neither showed up in My Computer. If any one alone is connected, that will work. What to do?

With IDE cables you must select Master, Slave or Cable Select on the jumpers on the back of each drive. The drive that is on the very end of the cable should be set as Master. The drive connected in the middle of the cable should be set as Slave.

Or you can set both drives’ jumpers to Cable Select and let the computer figure out which one is which. Cable Select doesn’t always work on very old computers, so I always set the drives as Master and Slave unless I was working on a Dell, which normally has Cable Select.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2595593]Hello,
I did as I was told, and THAT problem was solved. But then came a new one. I tried to use it on the same cable where the DVD drive is connected. I connected the end point to the HDD, and the middle one to DVD Drive. Then neither worked. I mean, neither showed up in My Computer. If any one alone is connected, that will work. What to do?[/QUOTE]

Also remember to use 80-pin ribbon cable not 40-pin and also make sure the dvd IDE drive has either MS isn’t jumpered so the computer will see that as the only one and make it Master otherwise if there are two devices on the cable one has to be jumpered to MS and the other to SL to make the configuration work. The second part would solve your connection problem.

Here’s a wiki description:

Multiple devices on a cable

If two devices attach to a single cable, one must be designated as device 0 (commonly referred to as master) and the other as device 1 (slave). This distinction is necessary to allow both drives to share the cable without conflict. The master drive is the drive that usually appears “first” to the computer’s BIOS and/or operating system. On old BIOSes (Intel 486 era and older), the drives are often referred to by the BIOS as “C” for the master and “D” for the slave following the way DOS would refer to the active primary partitions on each.

The mode that a drive must use is often set by a jumper setting on the drive itself, which must be manually set to master or slave. If there is a single device on a cable, it should be configured as master. However, some hard drives have a special setting called single for this configuration (Western Digital, in particular). Also, depending on the hardware and software available, a single drive on a cable can work reliably even though configured as the slave drive (this configuration is most often seen when a CD ROM has a channel to itself).

The other thing, is to keep the HDD’s on one IDE and the CD/DVD Drives on a separate IDE. You should have IDE 0 & 1, keep HDD’s on 0 and CD/DVD Drives on 1. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2595642]The other thing, is to keep the HDD’s on one IDE and the CD/DVD Drives on a separate IDE. You should have IDE 0 & 1, keep HDD’s on 0 and CD/DVD Drives on 1. :cool:[/QUOTE]

We should tell the OP that this will help in access time and prevent data collision or data being lost during access and transfer between HDD and cd/dvd being on the same cable.

The jumpers were set and now they both work. It’s only a temporary arrangement. I’ll soon get a new SATA Drive. Thanks for all the comments.