Adding a second SATA DVD burner

vbimport

Hello. I just got a Lite-On DVD/CD Rewritable drive model: HAS220 as a second DVD drive on my Dell Inspiron 530. The first DVD drive (Optiarc DVD AD 7200S) has a SATA power connector split which can connect to the new DVD drive, however, the SATA data cable goes right onto the motherboard. In order to connect my second drive, do I just need to get another SATA data cable and connect that directly onto the motherboard on the second SATA slot? I don’t need to connect the data cable from one DVD drive to the other? Please advise as I’m very new to this. Thank you.

You need a data cable going directly from the drive to the motherboard. And hook the drive up to the power connector of course.

Do all this with the power off! When you have it installed, start up the computer and let the operating system find the new drive.

That’s it.

[QUOTE=kohsamui;2182960]Hello. I just got a Lite-On DVD/CD Rewritable drive model: HAS220 as a second DVD drive on my Dell Inspiron 530. The first DVD drive (Optiarc DVD AD 7200S) has a SATA power connector split which can connect to the new DVD drive, however, the SATA data cable goes right onto the motherboard. In order to connect my second drive, do I just need to get another SATA data cable and connect that directly onto the motherboard on the second SATA slot? I don’t need to connect the data cable from one DVD drive to the other? Please advise as I’m very new to this. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need another SATA data cable which you plug directly into one of your motherboards SATA ports.
Each drive has it’s own SATA cable for data… the power cable can be chained to a couple drives as you mentioned.

ooops… Kerry beat me to it while I was typing…lol

I’m using my Motorola Q9c to post so takes me long time…lmao :frowning:

Thank you all very much!