Adding a HDD

Hi,
I was having a problem installing my HDD from my old PC to my new WinXP rig. It’s a seagate drive slave to another seagate drive and it is recognized by the BIOS but not by WinXP. I’m assuming tyhe problem lies with filesystem. Win98 and Linux were installed on the old HDD and i cleared it up with fdisk…nothing left on the drive. So now what should I do… how should i get get XP to recognize it?

Thanks

Run the diskmanager of Windows XP.(Admin section). If the drive shows up there as a device , xp detects it.

You can also check this in the hardware properties section (windows key - pause/break and check the hardware devices).

If XP recognizes it as a device , then you can partition it , format it and use it with the aid of the diskmanager.

Hi,
Thanks for the help Mr.Belvedere. It does show the drive in the hardware profile… but I can not understand why the drive is not being assigned a drive letter ( I can’t see it in MY COMUTER). Also, what is the disk manager? Is it there in windows XP home edition? I can’t find it.

Thanks

Ok , if it shows in the hardware profile , it can be used in Windows XP, we just have to tell XP that we need to assign a drive letter to it (it does not do that automatically).

Go to the configuration screen , select classic view and get the administration icon. There you will find disk manager.

You will need disk manager to make a FAT or NTFS partition on it , and only THEN you will see that XP will assign a drive letter to it. You can change that drive letter to almost any letter in the alphabet.

Um… there is only one account on my PC and that should obviously be the administrator. I do not know which conguration screen you were talking about.

Originally posted by aaargh
Um… there is only one account on my PC and that should obviously be the administrator. I do not know which conguration screen you were talking about.

hmm , can’t check right now , am working on Knoppix cdrom :slight_smile:

Tell ya what . do some F1 Help searching within Windows XP help , i’m sure it will come up with some link where to find it.

Weird though … i was pretty sure it was somewhere in the configuration screen.

I had a similar problem when I installed an old 2.4gig HDD and had to use the disc management to assign it a drive letter.
The quickest way to get there is to click Start and then Run.
In the run box type “compmgmt.msc” (without quotes)
In the window that opens click the + next to Storage and click on Drive Management.
Right click on the drive and assign it a drive letter.