Addicted to noise...?

vbimport

#1

Today I sold some party of my 1st desktop. This computer is always on on my room and producing quite some noise, due to about 8 casefans etc ;).

Anyhow: I’m really used to the sound and don’t notice it anymore. As my new parts haven’t arrived yet, there is no noise on my room and so it’s really quiet. Somehow I feel extremely strange and even uncomfortable. Very strange… really strange!

Anybody recognize this?


#2

That is funny and also why you should build a quiet pc with only a couple quiet fans.


#3

I don’t feel uncomfortable when my boeing 747 jet Athlon 900 powers down , but it is silent indeed.

I guess it’s part of the background noise. I’ve never had troubles with the noise , but sometimes you have to yank up the volume of your stereo or tv to hear at least something instead of the vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv fan…


#4

It is an eerie feeling. Something just isnt right when you dont have any noise in the room. Luckily my fans are always buzzing away, unless it gets really cold in the room then the fans pretty much shut off and it becomes uncomfortable.

However, loud noise isnt always good. My ears are accustomed to high levels of noise and thus I have to get more powerful headphones because the ones I have now just arent loud enough anymore.


#5

I know that some people can’t sleep without some kind of background noise.


#6

I recognise the sensation when my girlfriend of 4 years left me.


#7

Originally posted by compu44
I know that some people can’t sleep without some kind of background noise.

Like me. Is that a sign I’m on the computer too much? :slight_smile:

I recognise the sensation when my girlfriend of 4 years left me

I can’t see why anyone who you classify as “backround noise” might leave you… :stuck_out_tongue:


#8

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Anybody recognize this?

Oh yes. I do.

:cool:


#9

9 fans running in my new Lian Li case, music to my ears. On the rare occasions when it’s off, the house seems so … empty.


#10

Pfff morning once again… I didn’t get much sleep as I really miss the noise. Pretty strange, since I don’t miss it when I sleep at my girls house…

Ah well… the new parts can arrive any day, so I’ll sleep like a rose :slight_smile:

I’m just glad I’m not going mad, it’s just that we are used to a certain sound :slight_smile:


#11

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Pfff morning once again… I didn’t get much sleep as I really miss the noise. Pretty strange, since I don’t miss it when I sleep at my girls house…

Ah well… the new parts can arrive any day, so I’ll sleep like a rose :slight_smile:

I’m just glad I’m not going mad, it’s just that we are used to a certain sound :slight_smile: [/B]

Grmbl , i just found out Bora doesn’t ship outside Germany … (one measly grey line telling “Keine Lieferung außerhalb Deutschlands!” , so i guess the order i did is pretty worthless.

I’m getting pretty annoyed by those guys , no stock , not everything in stock they have on the website and no warnings , no email and no phone. No wonder they’re 10 euro’s cheaper than the rest , they suck at customer service.


#12

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

Grmbl , i just found out Bora doesn’t ship outside Germany … (one measly grey line telling “Keine Lieferung außerhalb Deutschlands!” , so i guess the order i did is pretty worthless.

I’m getting pretty annoyed by those guys , no stock , not everything in stock they have on the website and no warnings , no email and no phone. No wonder they’re 10 euro’s cheaper than the rest , they suck at customer service. [/B]

AFAIK, most (all?) cheap German computerstores do not ship outside their own country. Maybe Gistron (a pretty cheap and good Dutch company), www.gistron.com can help you out…

I hope I get my MSI Nforce2 board today… :slight_smile: can’t stop thinking about it… :slight_smile:


#13

Can’t you just turn on the PSU and have the fans running to get rid of the evil silence :bigsmile:


#14

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

AFAIK, most (all?) cheap German computerstores do not ship outside their own country. Maybe Gistron (a pretty cheap and good Dutch company), www.gistron.com can help you out…

I hope I get my MSI Nforce2 board today… :slight_smile: can’t stop thinking about it… :slight_smile: [/B]

After some browsing i found out that SallandAutomatisering.nl is even cheaper than Bora … it’s oem memory … but who freaking cares ? :slight_smile:

1x MSI K7N2,SockA,nForce2,5.1 Audio,USB,LAN ? 101,20
2x DDR 512Mb PC2700 oem ? ? 125,18

Total + taxes + shipping : ? 275,39


#15

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

After some browsing i found out that SallandAutomatisering.nl is even cheaper than Bora … it’s oem memory … but who freaking cares ? :slight_smile:

1x MSI K7N2,SockA,nForce2,5.1 Audio,USB,LAN ? 101,20
2x DDR 512Mb PC2700 oem ? ? 125,18

Total + taxes + shipping : ? 275,39 [/B]

They are quite cheap… www.sallandautomatisering.nl ?

I ordered OEM memory as well, I hope it’ll work since some people say that the NForce2 chipset is memory-sensible. It seems that Kingston modules don’t really work on it (I hope it doesn’t have problems with other brands as well).

I payed even less for the set, but then again, it’s because of my work :slight_smile:


#16

It’s impossible for me to sleep with my computer on. I hate it’s noise. I want it dead silent. I use to listen to the radio to flood the sound coming from my fans/HDD. So I must switch my computer off before sleeping.


#17

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Pretty strange, since I don’t miss it when I sleep at my girls house…

So, it seems you have a lot of fun in your girlfriends house… :wink: Enough fun to forget to miss out your PC’s noise…

Lucky bastard! :slight_smile:


#18

I have 4 case fans and a Tt Volcano 7+ heatsink. Pretty loud, and that is with my CPU fan switched on High!

I have somewhat of a dumb question:

About how hot should an Athlon XP 1800+ run?

  • CPU Temp (C/F)
  • CHA Temp (C/F)

I have recently upgraded to a SOYO Dragon KT400 Platinum and (2) 256MB Mushkin PC2700 memory.

Any ideas?


#19

About how hot should an Athlon XP 1800

It all depends on the HS and fan combo, what thermal coupling is used, CPU load, etc. It also depends on what sensor is being monitored. I don’t think the XP1800 has a diode in the chip, so the best indicator will be either the socket temp or by putting a sensor under the HS next to the chip. If the MB has a socket sensor, and you’re not overclocked, you might expect to see 35-50’ C. I have 2 intake fans in my side cover, blowing on the CPU and the board, my socket temps run 37’-45’C depending on the load and duration of the load. CPU diode runs 40’-60’ C, depending on the load and the amount of overclock on my XP2600. My socket runs 35’-45’.


#20

All right, I forgot about that.

My SOYO reports a CPU On-Die temperature, a regular CPU External temp, and the Chassis temp.

The CPU DIE usually runs about 130 F, the CPUEXT runs about 110, and the CHASSIS runs about 103 F.

This is just from idling in WINXP, no load. Not overclocked either.
I use Arctic Silver 3 as compound and have 3 Antec 80mm “SmartFans”.

I am not too familiar with Celsius, so please post in Farinheit (SPELLING)! I am just another ignorant (when it comes to measurement systems) American!

…and proud!