'Add remove hardware' wizard has C: disk as an option,,wtf?

vbimport

I updated some drivers from the microsoft website ‘for my hardware’ as it put it in the windows update thing, and now the model name of my C: hard disk is listed as an option in the ‘add remove’ hardware wizard. What gives? The disk is connected over SataII. Any ideas?? It wont let me ‘remove’ the disk anyway as it says its in use, duh, but its a lil niggle that could prove annoying at times :a :confused:

Do you mean it’s listed in the “Add/Remove Programs” listing? If so, it’s probably just for a driver or something not relevant. I would ignore it.

no i think he’s talking about the “safely remove hardware” icon that pops up on the system try whenever you have external devices attached.

either way, yes that’s strange. the only drive that shows up there for me i smy external drive which does have any system files…just data storage. hmm

It pop up on mine ( I have the same MB as you do) because I have a USB internal memory card reader, it assigns drive letters to each of the 4 card ports.

mine has the c: drive too

could it be a glitch with sata on some drive/mobo combos?

Good call reasons, sounds more plausible than the wizard.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that before. Does your MB have an external SATA connection on it’s back panel? If so, I would guess that the external port is on the same controller as the internal port that you have your HDD connected to or maybe even that your MB desiginates one of it’s header’s as the ‘external’ port.

XP could also just be confused, heh, who hasn’t experienced that before?

no external sata on mine

as for xp being confused… :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine is the same:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77197&stc=1

SATA drives can be connected and disconnected on the fly–it’s part of the spec. M$ has just updated its OS to reflect that.

Oh right, I had heard something about SATA discs being ‘hot swappable’ if thats the right term.

SATA2 and eSATA…

‘…’ ??? huh? u mean thats only on sata2 and esata? thats what ive got on my comp.

In theory, “all” SATA’s should, but… http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid5_gci1103989,00.html?track=NL-54&ad=521261USCA