Add 2nd burner to computer

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-840A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Trying to add a second burner to my computer , primary IDE connected to OS HD 160GB (Master) and Seagate 300GB storage only (slave), the secondary IDE connected to (Old) SONY 830A (Master) and ( New) SONY 840A ( slave) .Everthing works fine until I try to burn different disc’s from diff HD’s at the same time, it slows to a crawl unless I abort one disc and then it will finish the other fine. What do I need to do to make this work (if possible ) ???

Thanks
OS #215

Don’t do this:

1. You are using two different burners, you’ll be lucky to burn up to 4x from ONE hard drive.
  2. The IDE bus is shared amongst two hard drives and two burners. It’s like 4 vehicles fighting for one lane trying to get to their destination. Think about it, would that really work well and/or fast?

And you’re using only 512-MB of RAM…

Ok…are you saying not to use another burner ?? or don’t use this set-up…What can I change/do, to be able to use 2 burners ??

Thanks

Just don’t use the two burners at the same time with your current setup. Having a 2nd burner in the system is fine apart from that.

I had 2 burners in my P4 1.4gig, 512MB RAM system that I had a couple of years ago, but I only burned one disc with one burner at a time.

Is there something I can change on my computer set-up to be able to burn both at the same time with at least 8x speed ???

Thanks

If I am not mistaken, there are people on the forums that can burn to two or more drives at once.

They have systems with multiple controllers [such as motherboard controller for the HDDs and an add-in PCI/PCIe controller for the optical drives], usually. They also usually have 1 GB or more of RAM at the bare minimum.

What computer system do you have? If it wasn’t a pre-configured system, and it is a do-it-yourself, what motherboard and power supply do you have? You may be able to scrape by with an add-in PCI controller for your two Sony drives.

Mine is an e-machine from Best Buy , I’m hoping to maybe make some changes and get this to work.

THANKS

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-PD3MH0ABGS
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2171 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD TCB418G, 8/8/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name YOUR-PD3MH0ABGS\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 91.35 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.03 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Which eMachine model? Most will be able to accommodate an add-in PCI controller, but not sure about the extra memory. Also, your power supply might be a little on the lightweight side and could cause issues if you add too many components.

Mine is a T-3025…

I think there might be a possibility of your power supply being too weak to do quite so much activity, but it’s always worth a shot.

You should be able to find some sort of PCI add-in card with PATA ports. You’ll want to try to find a card based on a Silicon Image chipset, such as these cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132004
http://www.shop4tech.com/item6066.html

As far as I know, people have had good success with the Syba card [first link]. :slight_smile: Note, however, that, even with an add-in card, you may not be able to get the best performance without a bit of extra memory [or making sure that you have as much free RAM as possible before burning] and a power supply upgrade. I would seriously suggest you just stick to using 1 drive at a time for burning, though.

Hi,[QUOTE=berdman;2095564] the secondary IDE connected to (Old) SONY 830A (Master) and ( New) SONY 840A ( slave) .Everthing works fine until I try to burn different disc’s from diff HD’s at the same time, it slows to a crawl unless I abort one disc and then it will finish the other fine. What do I need to do to make this work (if possible ) ???[/QUOTE]do you use an UDMA-66 capable IDE cable (80wired, 18" flat ribbon) to connect your drives?

Michael

Michael,

Yes I am using the 80 wire cables…But i just realized that my OS HD is is on one IDE cable by itself and my other HD ( storage only) is a SATA connected to a PCI card. While my burners are on the same 80 wire IDE cable.

Bill

Albert,

I appreciate your help on what I should do …But I need to know why you strongly suggest "I don’t do it "??? Can I damaged something ???

Thanks again, Bill

[quote=Albert;2095951]I think there might be a possibility of your power supply being too weak to do quite so much activity, but it’s always worth a shot.

You should be able to find some sort of PCI add-in card with PATA ports. You’ll want to try to find a card based on a Silicon Image chipset, such as these cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132004
http://www.shop4tech.com/item6066.html

As far as I know, people have had good success with the Syba card [first link]. :slight_smile: Note, however, that, even with an add-in card, you may not be able to get the best performance without a bit of extra memory [or making sure that you have as much free RAM as possible before burning] and a power supply upgrade. I would seriously suggest you just stick to using 1 drive at a time for burning, though.[/quote]

[QUOTE=berdman;2096483]Albert,

I appreciate your help on what I should do …But I need to know why you strongly suggest "I don’t do it "??? Can I damaged something ???

Thanks again, Bill[/QUOTE]

Well, you can do it, but I just want to make sure you understand that there can just be power issues with your system from using 2 HDDs along with 2 ODDs with an add-in card. Thinking about it, though, there should be no issues if you leave the system alone while doing the burning, though. You shouldn’t damage anything, though, as long as you don’t over-stress the system. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Albert…

Albert…Added a ULTRA ATA IDE CONTROLLER CARD (first item on your list )to computer and connected it to new ( 2nd) burner …works like a charm with no slow down…Thanks to all for help with this problem. :smiley:

Glad you got it working, despite my power consumption worries. :slight_smile: