Adblock Plus: Facebook lost the battle against ad block extensions, for now

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/adblock-plus-facebook-lost-the-battle-against-ad-block-extensions-for-now-84932/

Eyeo, the developers of Adblock Plus, report they have succeeded in blocking ads on Facebook for a year now. Two years ago, the social network announced it would continue to bypass ad blockers which started a cat and mouse game.

And I could do this with a simple hosts edit that didn’t cost anything.

Most computer illiterates wouldn’t know how to install one, even if was sitting in front of them with all the instructions written in huge letters.

If that is the case then they shouldn’t use a computer but Pen/Pencil and Paper.

By that logic, nobody should ever use a computer, since we are all illiterates at some point in our lives. The solution isn’t kicking people off their computers, but teaching them how to use computers, and encouraging them to eventually teach themselves. This is something the whole world seems to suck at.

It’s not the worlds’ fault if user fail it themselves remember the golden rule Education 101-can’t do that then don’t use the internet. The rest of us aren’t responsible for your UNeducation. With all the news nowdays of user clicking on clickbaits you have to ask whoms’ real fault it is.

Seeing a news report about clickbait is one thing. Being given reasonably-detailed instructions on how to identify and avoid a scam and/or malware infection is another. That said, name one news article - with more than a handful of views - that tells users what to look out for. I’ll bet you can’t find any. Therein lies the problem: people don’t just need news. They need tutorials about safety.

That said, in my old high school, there were plenty of classes about computers. Some were about typing, others were about using MS Office. NONE of them were about security. None. At all. This isn’t just a problem with my high school, either. I’ve seen plenty of schools, ranging from elementary schools to colleges/universities, that either treat security education as secondary, or ignore it altogether. People are being thrusted into a new world with so little advice, they often don’t know that such threats even exist. Even those that do go out of their way to find news articles don’t get anything other than “this exists”.

I’m not saying that every person on planet earth has to spend every minute baby-sitting everyone else. Rather, I am saying that everyone who has knowledge about security should at least take a few minutes to share what they know with people who need that knowledge. I’m also saying that basic security practices should be taught in schools. News organizations also have a part to play, in not just saying “this person fell for this scam”, but also pointing out how ordinary people can identify - and therefore avoid - said scam.

The people I’ve known in person offline who were the most security conscious at a young age, were typically budding criminals-in-training who cleaned up their acts after they reached the age of majority (typically age 18). Basically the type of kids/teenagers who were into stuff like: shoplifting, pickpocketing, scams, ripping off people, drug dealing, breaking into houses/businesses, etc …

They know exactly how to con/rob people from first hand experience.

They’re the type of folks who won’t even invest any $$$ on the stock market, since they see the stock market as huge con job from the start. It takes a lot to “con a con”.

Wow. Did you really just imply that any young person who takes privacy serious is automatically a criminal? Also, did you just lash out at them for not wanting to invest in the stock market?

I myself started getting wise about my privacy during my early adult years. Does that mean I’m a drug dealer and/or thief?

BTW, should I even bother mentioning the sheer quantity of white collar criminals involved in the stock market?

They were definitely wise beyond their years. :slight_smile:

In the case of stock market hucksters, what I’ve found that shuts most of them up very quickly is to mention the words “efficient market hypothesis”. Most will realize that you’re wasting their time, and move on to the next customer.