Adblock Plus developer starts selling advertisements on websites

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Adblock Plus developer starts selling advertisements on websites[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/07/adblockplus_512-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Eyeo, the developer of the most popular adblock software, Adblock Plus, today launched a beta version of its Acceptable Ads Platform that allows websites to add pre-whitelisted advertisements to their site.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/adblock-plus-developer-starts-selling-advertisements-websites-80427/](http://www.myce.com/news/adblock-plus-developer-starts-selling-advertisements-websites-80427/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

There’s never been a better time for ABP users to switch to uBlock Origin.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2780795]There’s never been a better time for ABP users to switch to uBlock Origin.[/QUOTE]

I just made the change. I have noticed ABP various ads popping up on websites lately where none were before.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2780795]There’s never been a better time for ABP users to switch to uBlock Origin.[/QUOTE]
Better yet I use my own custom PC hosts edit and it works for free and has no problems working. If anyone cares to switch to it.

No need to get knickers twisted, this can be turned off in Adblock.

[QUOTE=CDan;2780810]No need to get knickers twisted, this can be turned off in Adblock.[/QUOTE]

I don’t remember getting a notice from Adblock that something needed to be turned off for the program to work as advertised. Most people assume it blocks all ads right out of the chute. Not just the ones Adblock doesn’t receive a fee from to let through. Trust is a hard thing to acquire and an easy thing to lose. Being greedy and deceitful is a great way to lose it for good.

I have to admit that it shakes the very foundation of an AD blocker to let ads display.

Free is free of course, still programmers have to eat and since most never touches the donate button even after years of using the tool/utility, I can understand that they may be tempted to generate a little income by partnering with companies that will help pay the rent.
However, in the case of an AD blocker, partnering with advertising companies even with an opt-out option will only lead to failure as far as I can see. It really is a partnership with the ‘enemy’ in this case.

The true answer lies with the users of course and so there will be knowledge gained:
[ol]
[li]If this succeeds and many users still use it, it gives a signal that this is a feasible path also for other programmers of AD-blocking utilities.[/li][li]If ABP looses most if not all users, this will be the first and last attempt for the foreseeable future.[/li][/ol]
It really is up to us.

Isn’t the whole acceptable ads thing just a form of ransomware?

We take your ads away costing you money, we’ll put them back if you pay us a slice of your ad revenue.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2780814]I have to admit that it shakes the very foundation of an AD blocker to let ads display.

Free is free of course, still programmers have to eat and since most never touches the donate button even after years of using the tool/utility, I can understand that they may be tempted to generate a little income by partnering with companies that will help pay the rent.
However, in the case of an AD blocker, partnering with advertising companies even with an opt-out option will only lead to failure as far as I can see. It really is a partnership with the ‘enemy’ in this case.

The true answer lies with the users of course and so there will be knowledge gained:
[ol]
[li]If this succeeds and many users still use it, it gives a signal that this is a feasible path also for other programmers of AD-blocking utilities.[/li][li]If ABP looses most if not all users, this will be the first and last attempt for the foreseeable future.[/li][/ol]
It really is up to us.[/QUOTE]

1. There will be backlash to adblock for sure.
  2. They will most likely loose users-users been far to long slammed with popups and adware. They are tired and just want clean browsing.
  3. Another fail what Adblock should tell those ads is make ads that don’t intrude on browsing where they are off to the side top bottom but not in the middle causing user backlash.
  4. Smart ads are no longer being used here they could care less so the the users should care less and start blocking more including adblock will be next on the block list.
  5. This is why I have my PC hosts file I made it works far better then adblock could ever do.
  6. Happy to use my own PC hosts edit and it works.
  7. Mine is free and requires no using of 3rd party software to work it uses the Windows hosts file system to stop adware.

Frankly, I’m baffled at the popularity gap between ABP (20,094,169 users, as of September 14th, 2016) and uBlock Origin (1,383,269 users). uBlock is easier to use (IMHO), uses less RAM, can easily be configured to block more than just ads, and doesn’t come with any “acceptable ads”, instead allowing the users to control what gets block and what doesn’t. It’s even compatible with ABP filters, so switching is pretty much guaranteed to be painless.