Adaptor for Hard Drive Connector

Hello,
I’m trying to see if “crashed” hard drive is really crashed, or file directory is corrupted (maybe the right term is FAT) by installing the non-working drive (vintage 2007) in a 2003 machine, and using CHKDSK. The problem is, the connectors are not compatible. I don’t even know the name of the two types of connectors. My question: Is there an adapter you can buy? My intuition says there is.
Thanx :confused:

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2673464]Hello,
I’m trying to see if “crashed” hard drive is really crashed, or file directory is corrupted (maybe the right term is FAT) by installing the non-working drive (vintage 2007) in a 2003 machine, and using CHKDSK. The problem is, the connectors are not compatible. I don’t even know the name of the two types of connectors. My question: Is there an adapter you can buy? My intuition says there is.
Thanx :confused:[/QUOTE]

First off what kinda hard drive are you talking about Desktop or Laptop? And they do have usb adapter for connecting sata, ide laptop and ide desktop to a usb connection. You could use something like that to see if the HDD if you can still recover your data from it.

What’s the brand and model number of your harddrive?

There are handy little products that let me connector either a newer SATA Hard Drive or an older IDE drive to my computer, using a USB port.

These run $20-30. They consist of a ‘connector head’ that has all of these different connectors, plus a little power brick and the needed cables.

Here’s the NEWEGG ‘page’ that lists their offerings, not that I want to push NewEgg but they do have good photos.

The HDD is a Seagate ST316060812AS 160Gbyte from a desktop.

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2673491]The HDD is a Seagate ST316060812AS 160Gbyte from a desktop.[/QUOTE]Why can’t i find this model anywhere on google?

Sorry, I made a mistake. It is a Seagate ST3160812AS 160Gbyte from a desktop.

I think the easiest way to access this drive will be the USB Connector kit I described above. Your motherboard sounds like it’s an older model with only IDE connectors on it. If it has USB ports on it, than the USB ‘kit’ will give you easy access to the drive - if it’s working.

These kits are handy because, when you get a new computer, you can use this kit’s IDE connectors to access even older hard-drives.

I’d like to buy one of those usb kits, anyone use a particular one they can recommend?