AD7190-A not recognizing any media for burning

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7190A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hiya,

[ Newbie note: I found this forum while searching for answers to my error codes. Lots of great info here! ]

Kay, my Optiarc is refusing to burn audio or data discs, although I have been able to watch DVDs and read data discs in that drive. I was using DeepBurner and CDBurnerXP-- neither program would complete a burn. I had tried TDK CD-Rs and FujiFilm DVD+Rs (that’s what was in the drive when i did the scan below). These are the error messages I’m getting:

• “layout contains more data than the media can store” (even with only one mp3 file ‘to be burned’)
  • Error sense data: SENSE KEY: 5 ASC: 30 ASCQ: 6
  • “no sufficient space on current media”
    Additionally, if I open any blank or burnt disc in Windows Explorer, and right-click for Properties, every disc shows up as totally used, no free space at all. What? Is it possible that this is not even an optical drive issue?

If anybody can point me to a post I missed, or some advice, I’ll make you some yummy cookies! Seriously! I really want to solve this. : )

Here’s my sys info and DVD Identifier specs:
Windows XP sp2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+
2.51 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

** INFO : Drive = Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A - [FW 1.01] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:RITEK-F16-001]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed

Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Er… I just tried a LightScribe CD that I found laying around. That disc worked… :eek:

???

What’s with these compatibility issues? I’ve noticed this in a lot of posts.

Welcome to the forum - love the nickname BTW :slight_smile:

Although I don’t use those two programs, so can’t help with the errors, the Fujifilm discs (RITEK F16) can be quite variable in quality.

Are you attempting to burn at high speeds (16x+)? Does a burn even start, or does it fail straight off?

Out of curiosity, what brand is the LightScribe disc that worked, and what speed did you burn it at?

This may take a little digging, but we’ll get to the bottom of it :wink:

Hi!

Thanks for responding! The lightscribe disc was in a jewelcase with a Hewlett-Packard liner. I threw away that paper though, and I don’t remember much else about it (about six weeks ago i found this disc on someone’s trash bin, i took it home because i’m not cheap, I’m veryveryfrugal…and that was when I tossed the liner.)

It was trying to write at 16x until I lowered it to 8, 4, and then 2x to try to get it to work. Every attempt failed after the… buffer overrun test? Like, each program would test the buffer and the write-speed and then grind gears for a few seconds and then quit with a tantrum about “incompatible media”. With the LS CD that finally worked, however, the disc wrote in 55 seconds at its highest speed. I was dumbfounded, actually.

Meow?

Hi again (I ws getting ready for bed when you posted) :slight_smile:

The HP LightScribe disc was likely to be made by CMC Magnetics (the HP DVD+Rs and CDRs I have here were), and it’s possible that the drive likes those better than the RiTEK ones.

Just to rule something out before we go with a media compatibility problem, can you take a look at one of the links in my signature - “How to check/enable DMA” - and make sure the Current Transfer Mode in Device Manager for all your IDE channels is UDMA Mode x (where x is a number), and not PIO Mode?

ooooh, the primary IDE channel was in PIO mode. I changed it to ‘DMA if available’ and on restart the setting stayed in place. is good?

Yep, that’s great that the setting stuck (although there is a small file you can run, if in future the settings don’t stick after a reboot - details here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1712827-post3.html). :slight_smile:

Try another burn now that everything’s in UDMA mode :slight_smile:

Okay, I have successfully burned two data discs using the Fujifilm/RITEK DVD+Rs. —w00t! thanks — The TDKs still don’t work, though. meh.

I know this changes the topic, but if buying a specific manufacturer’s discs is the ultimate thing, and brands don’t list their manufacturer data, then how does one go about buying discs??

Glad you’re up and burning :wink:

Edit: I’m not sure of any websites in the US that display the manufacturer info (although most of our US members use www.rima.com for their price and selection).

I personally recommend CD-R made by Taiyo Yuden…I think I’ve only had like one failed disc in all the ones I’ve used. They sell them at Rima :slight_smile:

Other than that, in regular stores, look for deals on any CDR made in Japan, as it’ll be Taiyo Yuden-made ;)…and look for deals on Verbatim DVD media, which are excellent discs that you’ll be pretty safe with.

For good deals on media, keep an eye out in our Bargain Basement forum - plenty of US deals to be had!

Ta-Da!! I was just reading up on that in other parts of the Forum. Thanks for the recommendations, also! LOL, i’ll honor the offer of baking cookies here!:slight_smile:

BTW, I ran DVDIdentifier on that LightScribe/HP disc that had originally worked, and it couldn’t ID it. Mysterious! Whatever, I’m gonna try those TY and Verbatim discs, and give away the TDKs. I only had three left anyway.
Peas!

Mmmmm…if I was in the US I’d definitely take you up on that cookie offer :bigsmile:

Since I’m in the UK, they might be a bit stale by the time they get here :bigsmile:

Edit: chances are, the HP discs was definitely made by CMC - I like them, good discs :wink: