Ad blocking rapidly increasing and costing publishers tens of billions of dollars

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Ad blocking rapidly increasing and costing publishers tens of billions of dollars[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/08/2015-ad-blocking-report-the-cost-of-adblocking-3-1024-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Nearly 200 million internet users have software installed that blocks advertisements. The popularity of adblockers is rapidly growing, according to a report from Adobe and Pagefair, a company that helps websites to gather data on adblocking and to counter them.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ad-blocking-rapidly-increasing-and-costing-publishers-tens-of-billions-of-dollars-76952/](http://www.myce.com/news/ad-blocking-rapidly-increasing-and-costing-publishers-tens-of-billions-of-dollars-76952/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Tough crap! The amount of ads we’re subjected to every day in every way is getting more than unbearable! It’s way past overdone and the advertisers expect us to feel sorry for their “lost revenue”. They brought it on themselves!

When the advertisers pay for my internet service and cable TV bills then they can force their ads on me.

Many ads amount to fishing attempts so I greatly prefer to block them on most sites

Glad I use my PC hosts edits. No more ads or popups or misleading popups to get one to click or worse redirects… :Z

Between UBlock Origins, Privacy Badger, and sometimes the TOR network (depending on whether I have a login account on a given website), I can only say “online trackers, do you worst”. If webowners used simple, unintrusive, static ads on their websites, rather than slow spyware-like webcode with bandwidth-consuming, CPU-consuming, and RAM-consuming videos and such, people wouldn’t care enough about these ads to block them. I know I wouldn’t.

They should calculate what it cost the internet user being spammed hence abuse of data/bandwidth allowance [U]people pay for[/U]!

Similar Microsoft updates significantly eating into people’s data allowance.

What makes them think this free ride is okay?

Yeah I must admit it seems kind of ironic that they expect people to pay for downloading their adverts.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Excuse my french, but fuck’em.

If they were reasonable about their ad placement I wouldn’t use an ad-blocker, but when they’re obnoxious assholes then I’m left with no choice.

Your own greed has become your destruction.

Like coolcolors I only use the hosts file . I tried a couple of the ad block programs but decided to just use the host file.
I’ve tightened it up so much that it even blocks the side adds in Google search.
You still see the list but if you click on one you get “This webpage is not available” .
That particular address is “http://www.googleadservices.com” .

Just crying a river for the advertisers:-) Ever notice how much faster a web page loads once you’ve blocked all of the ads that are hosted remotely from the main page? Notice how much less data piles up on your monthly quota?
Sadly all we have is ad blocking software and not advertiser spiking software.

If I got a slice of the pie I might reconsider blocking but until then oh well… too bad so sad. :slight_smile:

The ads that come in to some of my sites on my tablet are so bad they piggy bà ck on top of some ads I watch to get points to enter a legit contest.
They always say while your content is loading and you can X out but still annoying as hell and I never see them on my pc that uses the normal ad bloçkers everyone uses.
Yep, screw the greedy, fishing, click jacking, bastards.

I find it interesting that some of the ‘Big Dogs’ are paying AdBlock to let them through: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-their-ads-2015-2

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2758572]I find it interesting that some of the ‘Big Dogs’ are paying AdBlock to let them through: [/QUOTE]

So far I haven’t received any offers to let them through my hosts file . :wink:

:smiley:

Ads are annoying, so I block them as well. On the other side of the coin, many free sites are funded solely from advertising revenue. No advertising revenue then no site, or they charge a subscription to view the site.

if only a happy balance could be struck, where you only get few unobtrusive ads, instead of a deluge of them, then no one would mind, and would far be less likely to block them completely.

However, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so it’s best to keep that in mind.

Over the years adverts have become not just an annoyance, but a significant security risk. Google & co. have an appalling record when it comes to vetting adverts - if indeed they do so at all.

Search Google for something like Adobe Flash Player or Adobe Reader and top of the page will be sponsored links (adverts) to scam websites.

And there can be highly targeted attacks on entirely legitimate websites.

For example, the official web site for Exact Audio Copy shows adverts served up by Google (or similar) on most pages. There are only one or two modestly sized banners, which are hardly intrusive or obstructive, and they earn the author of a very useful piece of freeware a small income to help cover his hosting costs.

But a few years ago someone created a banner advert, which simply said something along the lines of ‘Click here to download Exact Audio Copy’, used Google’s advertising system to have it placed on the EAC download page and redirect many casual users to their own highly questionable software site.

I feel sorry for the thousands of excellent sites who are denied their only source of income by ad blockers. And for well-behaved sites I visit repeatedly (such as this one) add an exception to automatically disable the ad blocker. But the web mass-advertising system is been fundamentally broken, one could even argue it was designed to be so, and urgently needs fixing.

[QUOTE=seedyfreaks;2758369]Excuse my french, but fuck’em.

If they were reasonable about their ad placement I wouldn’t use an ad-blocker, but when they’re obnoxious assholes then I’m left with no choice.

Your own greed has become your destruction.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more with this…but they always seem to play games and not realize user will take this kinda underhand action so far only.

[QUOTE=cholla;2758374]Like coolcolors I only use the hosts file . I tried a couple of the ad block programs but decided to just use the host file.
I’ve tightened it up so much that it even blocks the side adds in Google search.
You still see the list but if you click on one you get “This webpage is not available” .
That particular address is “http://www.googleadservices.com” .[/QUOTE]

I know I experienced this as well but oh well if my Browsers works faster and no more lags on my internet all the better.

[QUOTE=cholla;2758584]So far I haven’t received any offers to let them through my hosts file . :wink:

:D[/QUOTE]

Same here not since I started using it in 2007 couldn’t be a happier camper. Even my family and their computer usage is more then happy and that makes for one happy get together… lmao…:flower: