Ad Blockers becoming ever more popular

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Ad Blockers becoming ever more popular[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/06/eMarketer_US_Ad_Blocking_Users_and_Penetration_20142017_211609-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/ad-blockers-becoming-ever-popular-79746/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

How strange it is that they can’t see what is obvious to the rest of us :confused:

How about a discussion on adequate standards for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable?
Contents covering ads, pop-out ads at odd places, whatever intrusive is what made today’s situation a fact and more and more people get fed up and join the ad-blocking clan.

Years has gone by since the ad-blockers came along, but the advertising industry did not change one bit and are in reality responsible for the wide variety of ad-blockers we have today themselves. I mean, if they had tried to evaluate why when the first ad-blockers came along and adjusted their ad-campaigns down to non-intrusive and acceptable levels, they could have avoided the mess they are in.

As for a subscription-based model, Nah, there is hardly any contents out here with only one source for the information and speaking for myself, I would simply surf to the next site or find the original press release the story is based on.

There is no war!
Sites are free to block visitors/adblockers and that’s it!

This may lead to a war between the ad blockers and the internet sites, and yet another game of escalating whack a mole will begin.

New strategies are being devised to combat this trend, the most prominent one being a subscription model where those who pay a monthly fee get access to a publication without ads.
And so is my strategy is to update my PC hosts file to block more of your useless ads and malicious adwares. :Z

Others are now refusing access to those who have active ad blocking apps installed.
I don’t go there - there are plenty of sites that will come and go but I will still be around. :stuck_out_tongue:

This may lead to a war between the ad blockers and the internet sites, and yet another game of escalating whack a mole will begin.
What war? That was the adware that caused it not the users-notice how they in the same breath fail to acknowledge they created the mess to being with. Smart ads and non-malicious ads and no popups would go along way to convince users they can be trusted. But that trust was broken by the malicious adware and popups that blocked even anyone from know what sites they are on. :cool:

[B]Further to the point ad blockers and PC hosts edits are here to stay adware get used to it or better yet learn to use common sense and that will bring back the visitors otherwise consider that a lost cause.

[/B]Whew…that was load off… lol

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2776630]There is no war!
Sites are free to block visitors/adblockers and that’s it![/QUOTE]

Some sites block now block ad-blockers, but I’m sure it’s possible to develop ad-blockers that the sites can’t detect, and I suspect that’s where the battle of wits is currently being fought.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2776647]Some sites block now block ad-blockers, but I’m sure it’s possible to develop ad-blockers that the sites can’t detect, and I suspect that’s where the battle of wits is currently being fought.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

What I see all over the .net is site like ours asking people to turn off the AdBlocker. If you don’t, you get a pop up or the site will block your access. Its pathetic. Google runs the internet with an iron fist.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2776647]Some sites block now block ad-blockers, but I’m sure it’s possible to develop ad-blockers that the sites can’t detect, and I suspect that’s where the battle of wits is currently being fought.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, that’s a very valid thought but it would be a stoopid idea (from developers) to do so - those web sites who block visitors punish themselves in the first place.

Thing is the web visitor is already punished by downloading these ad inflated pages/sites, hence the data is already wasted, even [U]before[/U] the ad blocker kicks in! The ad blocker merely prevents showing the ad crap you already downloaded.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2776696]Yep, that’s a very valid thought but it would be a stoopid idea (from developers) to do so - those web sites who block visitors punish themselves in the first place. [/QUOTE]That’s a given user will not come back or block those sites. But they can’t see the fault in their mindset.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2776696]Thing is the web visitor is already punished by downloading these ad inflated pages/sites, hence the data is already wasted, even [U]before[/U] the ad blocker kicks in! The ad blocker merely prevents showing the ad crap you already downloaded.[/QUOTE]That’s the part where we the users have to pay our ISP for the monthly internet usage and yet no one pays us for wasted bandwidth and time waiting to get to a site.

Actually, my experience with most ad blockers is that they frequently prevent resources from being loaded in the first place. If I load a webpage with an ad blocker, it frequently only takes a few seconds on my connection. If I disable the ad blocker and refresh the page, it takes considerably longer (even though the page is now in my browser’s cache). Of course, that may depend on which ad blocker you use.

Of course, the host file is guaranteed to prevent third-party ads from loading, provided the third-party domain is set up to be blocked. There may also be malicious and/or annoying scripts that can’t be blocked on a per-domain basis.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2777072]Of course, the host file is guaranteed to prevent third-party ads from loading, provided the third-party domain is set up to be blocked. There may also be malicious and/or annoying scripts that can’t be blocked on a per-domain basis.[/QUOTE]I know in my case the host blockers works and kills redirects and any pop pages goes dead. That is the real test of a hosts blocker. And I update the hosts file on here so others can get up to date blocker.

Finally found a combo that pretty much works on my Android Tablet as they and phones get even more intrusive pop ups and like that to the point I hated using it on some sites compared to my PC where I have everything setup the way I want and if something important gets blocked I can disable or try IE.
Like everyone says they keep making even more intrusive and annoying adds trying to force you to see and hopefully click on them and then they can’t figure out why people block them. And yes my tablet loads pages way faster without all the extra crap loading with most sites.