Ad-aware signature file update fixes newtopsites.com

vbimport

I just posted the article Ad-aware signature file update fixes newtopsites.com.

A while ago we reported on websites’ aggressive methods to take over your Internet Explorer start page and some other things. Now Nighthawk used our newssubmit to tell us that Ad-aware has released a…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3660-Ad-aware-signature-file-update-fixes-newtopsites_com.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3660-Ad-aware-signature-file-update-fixes-newtopsites_com.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Don’t you just love this proggie??? :4 I do.

Very nice it Picked up a new value site that the previous signature file couldn’t find :frowning: So now I have a clean system :4 Greetz from The Diplomat :8 Keep up the work you guys, seems lots off activies on the newsfront, nice one :wink:

Ad-Aware did not fix the problem like I thought. When I restarted Windoze my home page was one again set to www.newtopsites.com :frowning: Anyway I have found the solution: Load REGEDIT (Start/Run/regedit) then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun and look for a key named LoadIE, with the value “Rundll32.exe iexplore.dll,_Load@16” and delete it. This fixes the hijacking, and also means that Windoze will not attempt to connect to the internet at startup, unless of course some other software on your system does this. I don’t know why, but this entry is not picked up by MSConfig (it seems to ignore some startup items) and that’s why I had to have a look at the registry to find it. I appeared that something run at startup was the cause of the problem, but since I found nothing suspicious with MSConifg I though it must be something else causing it. Ad-Aware was simply finding that the home and search pages were set to newtopsites, and changing them to something other than newtopsites.com

New Referencefile 106-14-04-02 :7

Did anybody ever think of switching to Mozilla… I mean I don’t want to start a what-is-the-best-browser-war, but my browser has never been hijacked, altered or had any ‘helpfull’ components added without asking me :8