AD-7630/7633 and Macs? (Optiarc AD-7630A)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7630A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi
I am trying to replace my failed Panasonic SuperDrive in my iMac G5 with an AD-7633. The drive works Ok at first (reads, writes, plays DVD etc) , but if I watch a DVD or listen to a CD or just leave a CD in for a while, I can not eject the disk. The disk disappears from the desktop but it does not come out, and the computer hangs.

I have already tried to change the master/slave /reverse settings of the drive, and tried both 10.4 and 10.5 but it doesn’t make any difference.

So my question is: Has anybody installed this drive or a AD-7630 in a Mac, and with what firmware?

I also have a Intel iMac with a failing Pioneer drive which will need a replacement too in a couple of weeks…

Thanks in advance.

Check your power saving settings. Turn off sleep mode for the burner. It may be going to sleep and is not able to wake up. This is a common burner problem.

Also, see this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/problem-my-optiarc-ad-7630a-252102/

There may be a pattern that is OS independent.

The drive firmware is still at 1.0, so there’s nothing to help you there.

If it’s the only burner, leave it as master.

Update:

I put all energy saving stuff to “off”, but the behavior is the same. After a while, the drive will still be visible in the system profiler, but it won’t do anything else.

I went by the store I bought it from to test it there, and they face the same problem with 3 different units, so it is not a bad drive.

While I was there I noticed that the new iMacs have the Optiarc AD 5630 drive (which aparently works) and comparing the two I saw that in the System Profiler Report: Low Power Polling the 5630 has “yes” but the 7633 has “No”.

Does anybody know what is that Power Polling thing and if it is fixable by a firmware or a kext tweak?

And a second one: Is there a chance of crossflassing the drive to a 5630 (probably not I presume)?

Did you figure this out? I’m having a similar problem with my 24" Intel iMac. The old driver broke, so I replaced it with the AD-7630. I works great, burns and reads DVDs, but after a burn, I can’t eject the CD. Also, can’t launch any new apps and have to reset the iMac. It appears like some kernel thread/driver gets hung.

Any insight appreciated.

[QUOTE=beriberi;2125285]Update:

I put all energy saving stuff to “off”, but the behavior is the same. After a while, the drive will still be visible in the system profiler, but it won’t do anything else.

I went by the store I bought it from to test it there, and they face the same problem with 3 different units, so it is not a bad drive.

While I was there I noticed that the new iMacs have the Optiarc AD 5630 drive (which aparently works) and comparing the two I saw that in the System Profiler Report: Low Power Polling the 5630 has “yes” but the 7633 has “No”.

Does anybody know what is that Power Polling thing and if it is fixable by a firmware or a kext tweak?

And a second one: Is there a chance of crossflassing the drive to a 5630 (probably not I presume)?[/QUOTE]

Also, I have similar problems and see this in my system.log.
I’m thinking something in the kernel is trying to put this drive to sleep after
burning a DVD.

Feb 27 00:32:45 kernel[0]: IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05::setPowerState(0x5b6b800, 1 -> 4) timed out after 100127 ms

[QUOTE=beriberi;2125285]Update:

And a second one: Is there a chance of crossflassing the drive to a 5630 (probably not I presume)?[/QUOTE]

Try installing a profile with PatchBurn:

http://www.patchburn.de

I have the same trouble here with my mac mini. Has anyone found a solution? The worst thing for me is to pause a DVD when whatching. The drive does not wake up and I have to reset the Mac. I could not find any tool that would let not go the drive to sleep. Does patchburn helps? On the homepage they say it doesnt work on 10.5 Leopard Has anyone tried snowleopard? Does it work on this system? Thanks so much Mark

Maybe you can use another player?