AD-7241S only writing DVD+R at ~7-8X

vbimport

I bought this drive recently, and I have found it is only writing DVD+R at around 7 or 8x, when the advertised speed is 24x

Does it only write at 24x with certain programs or something?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Burning speed is related to the disc. Some discs cannot be written at 24x, so the firmware cut burning speed at the correct value.

Burning software has no role in this because is firmware that control this :slight_smile:

What discs are you using? Did you try to update firmware?

Moreover, a burner is not able to write at full speed even if the disc can support a high speed if the drive doesn’t receive data fast enough. This can happen if hard disk is too full and/or too fragmented and/or if it must provide data also to other applications. For example, if you are running a software like antivirus scan or torrent/e-mule and you are burning at the same time, the drive cannot receive data fast enough to burn at full speed.

[QUOTE=geno888;2491965]Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Burning speed is related to the disc. Some discs cannot be written at 24x, so the firmware cut burning speed at the correct value.

Burning software has no role in this because is firmware that control this :slight_smile:

What discs are you using? Did you try to update firmware?

Moreover, a burner is not able to write at full speed even if the disc can support a high speed if the drive doesn’t receive data fast enough. This can happen if hard disk is too full and/or too fragmented and/or if it must provide data also to other applications. For example, if you are running a software like antivirus scan or torrent/e-mule and you are burning at the same time, the drive cannot receive data fast enough to burn at full speed.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks! I never thought of any of that stuff. The DVDs I am using are only capable of 16x, PLUS the Hard Drive I have in my computer is only SATA 1.5, and I am also torrenting.

Thanks for the quick reply! :smiley:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Try to stop the torrent for a while until the disc is burned :slight_smile:

The Verbatim MCC-004 plus media recently available at many office stores and shops will usually burn pretty well at 20x with one of those burners if you can find some if you just want to make sure it can burn some media at faster speeds then your getting now.