AD-7200S, Should I just stick to liteon?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]After having a quick read & buying a AD-7200S (to run on a DFI LP DK P45-T2RS mobo) I’m thinking about sending this drive back.
Am I mad?

From what I gather I may have read problems, plus I can’t enable AHCI or RAID for my NCQ Seagate SATA drives (e.g. they could disappear in XP 32 from the wiki ACHI page).
I read the review for the PATA drive & it seemed really good but I keep hearing of DVD-R reading problems.
Should I just stick to liteon (I have some not bad 6x burns with OHT on with an LiteOn DH20A3P on my old pc here & here)?
Plus I’ve read the PATA optiarc equvalent may have issues with my JMicron controller.
:confused:

EDIT: Maybe I’ll keep it & see how it compares, has anyone successfully ran this drive in AHCI mode in XP 32bit?
I did try & got an emulation error from seagate discwizard when trying to partition (although I could run IDE mode for partitioning & AHCI for loading XP I guess), but I have ram compatibility issues atm (amongst other things) so am waiting on new ram before I can try again.

I have the 7201S and it runs perfectly in ACHI mode in Vista 64Bit and XP 32bit on a GigaByte GA-X48-DS4 (ICH9R). It also works perfectly in non ACHI mode.

AD-7200S works fine on XP (32-bit) SP3 with AHCI drivers on ASUS P5QL-E here.

My AD-7200S is one of the best drives I’ve ever had. Operating on XP Home (32-bit) SP3 with AHCI drivers on my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB. Consistent 95% or better quality scans using MCC004 and scanned with Nero DiscSpeed in a BenQ 1640.

BTW, my previous drive before the Ad-7200S was an AD-7170A which was also a great drive. My only reason for replacing that one was to go to SATA.

It’s my mobo :frowning: Whenever I try to run ACHI it just bsods on XPsp3 setup sighs I’m running pesky IDE mode & it seems pretty stable.

The drive is pretty good, I get strange pif spikes (clickety-click) which I’m hoping will be better with 1.09 firmware
(I’ll then try Liggy’s and Dee’s firmware). Cheers!

I am not sure what motherboard you have but this thread may help

Mines an ICH10R but an interesting read, thanks anyway.

Ofcoz it would BSOD you. You’ve got to enable AHCI driver in registry before enabling it in BIOS or reinstall an OS with AHCI already being set on in BIOS.

[QUOTE=gjazz;2190615]Mines an ICH10R but an interesting read, thanks anyway.[/QUOTE]

gjazz - (your response to APVM) it doesn’t matter (that you have the newer “10R”) , you still have to follow the correct steps when it comes to installing XP with AHCI enabled - this has nothing to do with the 7200-S , if you return it for another (SATA) burner / reader you will have the same issue .

bottom line - the 7200-S works well with many boards in AHCI mode (XP - Vista x86 & x64) , find a forum related to your motherboard and get some guidance in setting up a slipstreamed XP installation disc (I’m using the latest Intel AHCI drivers with a Giga Ep45-UD3R) - tip: Nlite makes setting up a slipstreamed XP disc very simple http://www.nliteos.com/

good luck in getting setup in full AHCI mode

Lol, thanks mastercca, I’m already on another forum but with no solutions yet, I’ve already said it’s my mobo/drivers. (I’m talking about xpsp3 32 setup !)et0nat0!2 )

Oh, my bad. Completely forgotten that xp has no native ahci support…

[QUOTE=gjazz;2191394]Lol, thanks mastercca, I’m already on another forum but with no solutions yet, I’ve already said it’s my mobo/drivers. (I’m talking about xpsp3 32 setup !)et0nat0!2 )[/QUOTE]

just get your AHCI driver and slipstream an xp install using Nlite , you will be fine