AD-7200S: Problems Working In IDE Mode?

vbimport

Can folks comment on the discussion occurring here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/863500/

Interesting thread [B]negritude.[/B]
I’ve never owned a SATA Optiarc drive, so i can’t really comment, except to say, i’ll be really surprised if the AD-72xxS series is unable to work in SATA (IDE mode). Assuming they are connected to an Intel or Silicon Image SATA controller, of course.

I suspect it has to do with either chipset or controller driver version. I got a PCI SATA adapter with SiI3114 chipset that wouldn’t boot to system hard drive using adapter as shipped. It worked only after I flashed the adapter with base BIOS and installed latest IDE driver for it.

I have two Optiarc SATA drives and they both have gone through the SiI 3512 and 3114 base modes as well as nForce4 RAID-off mode without any problems.

Notice though what the main argument is:

“These drives have problems working at all in SATA-IDE mode on any motherboard.”

He’s also saying that Pioneers, Samsungs, and other SATA drives have much fewer of these problems.

He’s saying the problem is Optiarc specific, and he’s saying it emphatically.

^ Well, he could be wrong, its certainly not something that has been mentioned (or i have noticed) on this forum.

Maybe members here with the 72xxS series drives could tell us if they are using their drives in IDE mode or native SATA mode.

I don’t have a 72xxS, but I have an older 5170S which works perfectly in both IDE and RAID mode (Intel ICH8R chipset).

The person who claims there’s a specific problem with Optiarcs 72S series must be under the influence.
I have used these drives & others, disabled (default) on several Intel* based boards - so SATA/IDE (PATA).
Have used AHCI
mode with any problems.
Even set RAID option & still had no problems.
Comparing LG/Lite-On/NEC Optiarc/Pioneer/Samsung.
I haven’t noticed any difference between drives (apart from read speed affecting the speed of clean installations, marginal).
Also used Silicon Image 3114/3512 cards in RAID & BASE mode.
The only difference here is the need for the cards drivers.
In addition even used SATA via external USB.
Both Pioneer & NEC.
Some folk just don’t persevere enough when something is new to them.
Unless they just like moaning.

*Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R.
**Didn’t need drivers when using Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2131881]Some folk just don’t persevere enough when something is new to them.
Unless they just like moaning.[/QUOTE]I like to call this “what me??? syndrome”. A rough translation would be.
Blame what is inside the PC, the problem can’t possibly be between the keyboard and the chair. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2131886]I like to call this “what me??? syndrome”. A rough translation would be.
Blame what is inside the PC, the problem can’t possibly be between the keyboard and the chair. :)[/QUOTE]

Hehe :slight_smile:

Got myself AD-7203S connected via JMB363(gSATA) in IDE mode and preforms flawlessly.

I do notice there are some comments about IDE mode problems on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=27-118-012&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Keywords=

[QUOTE=negritude;2135461]I do notice there are some comments about IDE mode problems on NewEgg:[/QUOTE]There are a few reported problems but, certainly no more than i would expect to see about general SATA optical drive problems. No where near enough to say that these drives have a fundamental problem with IDE emulation mode.

I have had mine hooked up to a PCI SATA adapter with SiI3114 chipset and Intel onboard in IDE mode with Zero issues.