AD-7200S on eBay, $12.99 shipped

vbimport

This may interest some of you… I’ve ordered one for myself. Don’t know the seller but the feedback looks good. 5 are available.

www.ebay.com/itm/400556464550

Or, you could pay about double and get one that’s supposedly new. I’ve bought several used optical drives on ebay and they more often than not, tend to be in rough shape. They work, but aren’t pretty. I’d rather pay a few extra dollars and get something that’s clearly been taken better care of.

I’ll post when I get it and check it out. I’ve also had some duds on old drives (I’ve bought a bunch especially to go in old standalone DVD recorders), but this looked good enough to take a chance on.

(Not sure I’d go for those particular “new pull” drives. The different sellers look curiously alike and their feedback doesn’t thrill me.)

I bought a few “new” pull AD-7200s drives from recyclegreen (one of those sellers) a few weeks back. I got drives that seem new. No complaints from my side. They had the best feedback of the lot.

Ah, thanks for the info.

That’s a great price, if the drive still works well. I shied away from buying a used drive, but it might be a good way to go considering how much cheaper they are.

I bought a “new pull” 7200S from sonicstorm2011 a couple weeks ago. It was shipped on the first day, which is great, but I was disappointed to see it shipped in a USPS Priority flat rate envelope. It is accurately listed as the shipping method, but I didn’t notice until I got the shipment notification.
It’s only protection inside that envelope was 1 layer of bubble wrap, which doesn’t block impacts, it just spreads them out a little. The corners poke through, fully exposed, and about half the surface ends up with popped bubbles before it gets to you.
Proper protection needs a box. That’s expensive, so sellers are likely to try to cut that corner. But I don’t think it should be done without clearly explaining it in the ad. Sometimes I might be willing to risk it for a cheaper shipping price, but in this case I would have wanted to pay for a box.
I’ve done a lot of eBay selling myself so I tend to be picky about these things.

I haven’t used it enough to make up my mind what I think of it. It works, but whether it’s burn quality is as perfect as it should be, I have no idea. For the moment, it’s about on par with my old burner, but maybe more testing will differentiate them.

The firmware on it is 102A. Maybe that points to it’s origins.
It’s plausibly new, it looks and sounds new. I don’t know of any way to prove this beyond looking at it cosmetically.

From what I’ve read online, the term “new pull” is sometimes used in a shady fashion. The reasonable interpretation would be “pulled from a new, never used machine” but apparently some marketing clowns have decided the term can also be applied on any used hardware that still “looks” new, even if it isn’t. I’m sure it started as something they just got away with, but now they’ve morally rationalized it to themselves. To be clear, I’m talking about internet sellers in general, NOT this particular seller. I have no idea how this particular seller uses the term, or whether these drives were actually ever used or not. All I can say is mine works and it looks new.
I noticed some of my seller’s listings said “new” instead of “new pull”. Not sure if that was an intentional distinction.

Newegg has had deals as low as $16… WHY on earth would you want to save $5-$10 just to buy a used in any way drive? Ebay is not the place you want to buy shady goods. They hassles with shipping the product back ALONE make the deal not worth it (and FORGET buying from a China seller w/ no US warehouse)… I always have this gut check when I consider buying things on EBAY just to save a $1 or $2… Is the potential of a return worth the risk with this XYZ seller? Sometimes it YES, sometimes NO. Of course I’m not just singling out on Ebay(ers) but E-tail in general.

Back when HDD’s costs several hundred dollars approaching $1k+(which in those days was closer to $2,000 of today’s money–HDD’s were the 1st or 2nd most costly component) drive pulls were a good way to save money. HDD’s in those days rarely completely crapped out, they just had bad/unusable sectors that got mapped out.

dang double post

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2699217]Newegg has had deals as low as $16… WHY on earth would you want to save $5-$10 just to buy a used in any way drive? Ebay is not the place you want to buy shady goods. They hassles with shipping the product back ALONE make the deal not worth it (and FORGET buying from a China seller w/ no US warehouse)… I always have this gut check when I consider buying things on EBAY just to save a $1 or $2… Is the potential of a return worth the risk with this XYZ seller? Sometimes it YES, sometimes NO. Of course I’m not just singling out on Ebay(ers) but E-tail in general.[/QUOTE]Unless I really missed something you can’t currently buy a new AD-7200S from Newegg for $16, or any price for that matter. Sure, you can get a LG GH24NS95 from Newegg for $16 shipped when it’s on sale. I tested one and it’s an okay burner, but it has limited burn speeds selections, and it certainly doesn’t have the solid & proven track record of the AD-7200S. I’d buy a few “new” pull AD-7200S drives on ebay for machines over a few GH24NS95 drives even if it costs a few extra bucks.

[QUOTE=shamino;2699213]I bought a “new pull” 7200S from sonicstorm2011 a couple weeks ago. It was shipped on the first day, which is great, but I was disappointed to see it shipped in a USPS Priority flat rate envelope. It is accurately listed as the shipping method, but I didn’t notice until I got the shipment notification.
It’s only protection inside that envelope was 1 layer of bubble wrap, which doesn’t block impacts, it just spreads them out a little. The corners poke through, fully exposed, and about half the surface ends up with popped bubbles before it gets to you.
Proper protection needs a box. That’s expensive, so sellers are likely to try to cut that corner. But I don’t think it should be done without clearly explaining it in the ad. Sometimes I might be willing to risk it for a cheaper shipping price, but in this case I would have wanted to pay for a box.
I’ve done a lot of eBay selling myself so I tend to be picky about these things.[/quote]I’ve bought a few optical drives on ebay both “new” (pull), new, and used and so far they’ve all come in a box. No one has pulled that stunt.

From what I’ve read online, the term “new pull” is sometimes used in a shady fashion. The reasonable interpretation would be “pulled from a new, never used machine” but apparently some marketing clowns have decided the term can also be applied on any used hardware that still “looks” new, even if it isn’t. I’m sure it started as something they just got away with, but now they’ve morally rationalized it to themselves. To be clear, I’m talking about internet sellers in general, NOT this particular seller. I have no idea how this particular seller uses the term, or whether these drives were actually ever used or not. All I can say is mine works and it looks new.
I noticed some of my seller’s listings said “new” instead of “new pull”. Not sure if that was an intentional distinction.
I’ve read similar criticisms of the term “new pull”. I haven’t bought too many “new pull” items, but the ones I have gotten definitely seem new by appearance and function. They certainly aren’t in the rough / somewhat beat-up condition that some of the used items have been in. Personally, I expect a “new pull” item to be in “used, but in excellent condition” and factor my willingness to pay for it based on that assumption. If I get something that really seems to be new, well that’s just icing on the cake. After all, $26 for a “new pull” AD-7200S is better than $52 + shipping for a new one from eSaitech. I guess if you want new instead of “new pull” you pay the extra money.

The drive arrived yesterday (very fast!). It was wrapped well in bubble paper, but mailed in a priority envelope. It seems to be a Dell OEM (look closely at the label and you’ll see the Dell part number) but should be flashable with the regular NEC firmware.

The drive looks practically new and seems fine, but I’m having a problem with my test rig at the moment and can’t do a full test for at least a couple of days.

Yo-

Got both of mine today - bubble wrapped and in a Priority Mail Box.

Firmware version = 1.D3.

Build date = October 2008

Condition = slight scratches where removed from brackets.

Cannot find anything with Dell reference and/or numbers.

Excellent burner for <$13 each - delivered!!

Thank you @afecu for the heads up. :clap: :clap:

Mine is firmware 10A2 (like the one shamino mentions from another seller). I tested it and it works gloriously well, as it should – the media is Verbatim MIUAE written at 8x, and the disc quality test is on my AD-7200A (which I believe gives valid results). These are comparable to the same media written on my 7200A.

Mine seems a little cleaner than bigmike7’s (I had to look carefully to see a bracket rub).