AD-7200A starting to die?

vbimport

Hi,

I have a AD-7200A which is installed in an external enclosure. The drive isn’t used very often.

Now I wanted to try a DVD-RAM on this unit and encountered several problems:
The disc isn’t always detected, sometimes it takes a very long time while the drive tries to detect the disc. If recognized, there are write errors, reported.

With DVD, the drive also has hard time to recognize the media.

I already opened the drive and cleaned the lens with Isopropanol. No improvement.

I can also rule out system related problems since other drives work fine, and the problems show up on my laptop (where I connected the drive to for troubleshooting), too.

CD recognition seems to be okay at the moment.

Any ideas? Must I prepare myself to bury the drive?

Michael

mciahel, you might also try cleaning the spindle pad that holds the media. If it’s gotten junk on it, the disc may be slipping. Otherwise, it doesn’t sound too promising. :frowning:

Hi Michael,

Try a completely different external case. Better still, try mounting inside a desktop to test the burner. My AD-7200A developed hanging/freezing problems with DVD playback and when I returned to the shop for warranty, the tech guy mounted it inside a desktop and it worked!!

I suspect that something minor did happen and for some strange reason, my AD-7200A demanded a better power supply. The original setup works now with a Pioneer DVD burner and the AD-7200A is in another case and is working fine in that combination.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your AD-7200A!!!

[QUOTE=mciahel;2523607]Hi,

I have a AD-7200A which is installed in an external enclosure. The drive isn’t used very often.

Now I wanted to try a DVD-RAM on this unit and encountered several problems:
The disc isn’t always detected, sometimes it takes a very long time while the drive tries to detect the disc. If recognized, there are write errors, reported.

With DVD, the drive also has hard time to recognize the media.

I already opened the drive and cleaned the lens with Isopropanol. No improvement.

I can also rule out system related problems since other drives work fine, and the problems show up on my laptop (where I connected the drive to for troubleshooting), too.

CD recognition seems to be okay at the moment.

Any ideas? Must I prepare myself to bury the drive?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=straightflush;2523827]

Try a completely different external case. Better still, try mounting inside a desktop to test the burner. My AD-7200A developed hanging/freezing problems with DVD playback and when I returned to the shop for warranty, the tech guy mounted it inside a desktop and it worked!![/quote]:eek:
Very interesting. I haven’t ever thought of interface (or power) issues. At least this is worth to be tried :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Michael

You’re welcome. Any news on that AD-7200A in a different setup?

Hope you get it to work again as they seem to burn better than the later AD-7240S.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2523844]Hi,:eek:
Very interesting. I haven’t ever thought of interface (or power) issues. At least this is worth to be tried :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Michael[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=straightflush;2524275]You’re welcome. Any news on that AD-7200A in a different setup? [/QUOTE]You were absolutely right - it seems to be some power issue with the enclosure. I plugged a PSU from my USB/IDE/SATA adapter directly to the drive and it worked much better.

Thanks again for pointing me into the right direction :slight_smile:

Michael