AD-7190 (?) Making Lots of Coasters

Hi all, this is my first post, so I hope I’m asking this in the correct forum.

I built my PC with 2 Optiarc AD-7170A’s last year and I broke one (unfortunate incident with the drive tray). I replaced it with a Lite-On LH-20A1P - which seemed to do nothing by make coasters out of +R DL discs. So, I replaced that one with another AD-7170A. But, when I installed the new 7170, the model number came up as 7190A … and it’s making coasters.

From reading other posts in the forum, it seems that the 7190 is a Lite-On clone. Actually, a clone of the Lite-On drive I tried before replacing it with the new Optiarc.

I’ve burned hundreds of DL DVD’s with my original AD-7170 and never had even 1 failure.

Does anyone know a magic-fix for either the 7190 or the LiteOn 20A1P?

Techie-Info:

Media: Verbatim DVD+R DL Discs
Software: ImgBurn
Authoring: Adobe Premiere, Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 & Adobe Encore
Processor: Intel Core2Duo 2.4
RAM: 2GB

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ( ! ).

Hi, nia01d3. Welcome to CDFreak.
The AD-7190A is a Liteon DH-20A3P clone, not the 20A1P. You can try updating to the latest 1.04 firmware in case you haven’t. The Sony-Optiarc web site:
http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html
Personally, I have no problem using the 7190A to burn Verbatim +R DL and they are the lesser quality Made in India ones.
Another alternative is to cross flash your drive to a 20A3P.

[QUOTE=FactFinder;1945158]Personally, I have no problem using the 7190A to burn Verbatim +R DL and they are the lesser quality Made in India ones.
Another alternative is to cross flash your drive to a 20A3P.[/QUOTE]

Are you able to burn any DL disc faster than 2.4x?

I have burned plenty of MIS Verbatim DL on my other drives up to 8x but can only burn at 2.4x on my 2 new 7190As.

[QUOTE=1machine;1945524]Are you able to burn any DL disc faster than 2.4x?

I have burned plenty of MIS Verbatim DL on my other drives up to 8x but can only burn at 2.4x on my 2 new 7190As.[/QUOTE]

With the MKM 001 Verbatim, the speed is limited to 2.4X by the firmware. Same applies to the Liteon A3P unless Wind has released a new test firmware allowing overspeed for DL.

FactFinder,

Thanks for the reply - I updated the firmware and that seems to have fixed it. It’s not throwing error messages or warnings. And it seems to recognize the layer break.

Thanks!

I got last week the AD-7191S writer, burned a couple of DVD+R Verbatim and quality is GREAT, when i tried to burn a DVD-R (RitekG05), which i burned very well with my 1633@1653, it was a coaster, pi error scan of the last 1gb was over 400/600…