Actual Size of DVD-R 4.7GB?

vbimport

I have some SL TY DVD-R 8X 4.7GB media. I was wondering how much it can actually store? I heard it was something like 4.3GB or 4368MB. While other people say it can do 4.5GB. I have the latest Nero and it said biggest was 4.5GB also. So what is it!?!

I searched around and surprisingly still couldn’t find the answer.

It’s in there, somewhere…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=950293&postcount=6

"The most common 12 cm DVD-R disc has 2,298,496 sectors, 2048 bytes each; it holds 2,298,4962048=4,707,319,808 bytes, or 2,298,4962=4,596,992 KB, or 2,298,496/512=4489.25 MB, or 2,298,496/(512*1024)=4.38 GB of data.

The most common 12 cm DVD+R disc has 2,295,104 sectors, 2048 bytes each; it holds 2,295,1042048=4,700,372,992 bytes, or 2,295,1042=4,590,208 KB, or 2,295,104/512=4482.63 MB, or 2,295,104/(512*1024)=4.38 GB of data."

Whatever the numbers, the DVD-R will hold a few more MBs more than the DVD+R. So when Nero tells ya insuffucient space to burn, try the DVD-R.

only 6MB more for -R…but negated by the fact that +R can be overburned to 4600MB and sometimes more…given the right burner and +R media.

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

I’ve never overburnt DVD’s though I’ve done it a few times with CDR’s. Just a couple of questions.

1. Can you also overburn DVD-R?

2. If so then do DVD+R usually overburn better than DVD-R?

i’ve not been able to overburn -R discs…only +R. i think other Plextor owners who’ve successfully overburned DVD media have had similar experiences with -R versus +R and overburning…

This “mystery” is part of an old marketing game in the disk and media business.

In order to make their products seem as large as possible, disk drive and media manufacturers have traditionally stated their GB using the measure of “1 Billion Bytes.” But when you actually try to use the space on the disk or media, your computer will be addressing the space in binary, not decimal addresses.

Two to the 30th power is 1,073,741,824 … not 1,000,000,000 … so the disk or media will seem about 7% smaller than what you thought you bought. It’s sort of a reverse baker’s dozen. So a 4.7 GB disk only has 4.3772 GB of total file capacity.

This gets even trickier when the disk or media uses a file system with sectors, like NTFS. The sector size and file system structure adds a bit of overhead and guarantees some wasted bytes – sometimes another 10% of the stated capacity. This effect is minimal on DVDs, as they are optimized for a few very large files that are expected to stream.

Holds out his hands

It’s [I]this[/I] big!

:wink:

Whoooa this thread is almost 3 years old talk about digging up old bones. :bigsmile:

Yea, and now it’s 8 years :slight_smile:

I never really understood what’s the problem with talking in old threads. What’s the deal?

I mean, this is first one that comes up when you Google for “DVD real size”.

Now if I start a new topic and you guys reply, it will be lost in the depths of Google.

I actually don’t have any questions or anything to add to this topic, I registered just to say the above, because it seemed like a good opportunity to ask this question above that was in my head for many many years. Pardon me.

I think the only issue with old threads is if they’re portrayed as Equipment Help or Services Needed issues - “I need a battery for ___” or “I need a driver for ____”, and the original thread’s solutions (website links, for example) are years out of date, no longer accessible, etc.

Of course, if someone NEEDS that stuff, who ya gonna call? “Might as well resurrect an old thread, and see if the contributing users can still help.”

There’s no other way to find out than by asking.

For THIS thread, Davo’s explanation pretty much covers it.

The fineness of the laser isn’t discussed. Each optical-disk’s laser has a beam-size for ‘burning’ the objects and that’s why the same physical disk size can be used for CDs, DVDs, BluRays (and perhaps their successive technologies) - the burning and reading lasers become much smaller - finer - and can pack more data into the same teeny area. This is also why a BluRay’s requirements for a scratch-free, smudge-free reading surface is incredibly more important that my guacamole’d CDs. I just have to accept the fact that I can’t use BluRays to spread peanut butter onto sandwiches.

You always see some comment about the thread being old.
The way I see it if someone has approximately the same problem .
Why not use the old thread ? If they have no use then why keep them stored using up data. Simply put many old threads are still useful.
On the size Good Luck with any DVD burn where you try to burn over 4.36GB.
4.35GB will usually burn for sure. If not it isn’t a size problem.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2694119]This is also why a BluRay’s requirements for a scratch-free, smudge-free reading surface is incredibly more important that my guacamole’d CDs. I just have to accept the fact that I can’t use BluRays to spread peanut butter onto sandwiches.[/QUOTE]
CDs spread the peanut butter better anyway.
Then just clean it of with your bench grinder .

A disclaimer: If you are a newbie [B]Don’t try the above [/B].
It is satire .

I use standards. 4.3 GB per disk. No compatibility worries.