Actual list of DVD-R/+R-manufacturer?

Hi there!

The last times I bought DVD-media in Discounters I was a bit confused about the mediacodes. Some years ago I had media like CMC, Ritek, UME, Infomedia. Now I bought again and all I get was MBIPG101R05

I looked at nierle.com and saw that even Verbatim and Sony uses MBI. Intenso -R switched from UME also to MBI.

Also often seen was Infomedia. But I burned some Philips-branded Infome R30 which are the worst DVD-media I ever had, and I have really many different media. Only SONYD11 were similar bad after some years.

Could it be that only a few manufacturers are left?

Moser Baer Enters Insolvency, Stops Optical Disc Production

Current DVD±R manufacturers: Moser Baer (MBI), CMC Magnetics, Ritek Corporation, Umedisc, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Verbatim), Falcon Technologies/FTI. That’s about all you can find right now anyway. Princo is still around in third world countries.

Notably gone are Taiyo Yuden and Prodisc, and finding MCC-made Verbatim DVD±R’s is pretty difficult. Imo, stick to MBI,CMC made MCC codes or Falcon (TDK MID’s), the former can vary a lot in quality (but you can find decent batches at times) whereas FTI guarantees consistently higher quality, but is more expensive and difficult to source in certain places.

Thank you :slight_smile:

FTI-media seems to be very hard to find in Germany. Nierle is the only shop I know which informs abot the MID on many products, http://www.discobianco.com (never bought there, but in past it was cdr24.de) list also some MIds.

Nierle also have some TY-MIDs TY02 from JV and Maxell Pro, TYG03 from JVC.

Long time ago I bought many media at the Cdfreaks-Shop, but it doesn´t exist anymore :frowning:

Be careful when buying TY MID’s right now because in most cases they are now the newer CMC Pro “Powered by TY” ie. made by CMC Magnetics and not Taiyo Yuden. I think the consensus on CMC Pro so far based on the scans posted is that the CD-R’s are fine but DVD±R not so much, inconsistent quality at best. Not worth the money over current AZO media found everywhere.

Thank you for the warning.

I have still some Plextor DVD-R/+R 16x media and some Verbatim/Fujifilm labeled T02.

I don´t know whether I buy in future many DVDs, the price of BD-media is not bad atm and it had much more capacity

Now I think only MBI is still making DVD

Ordered Maxell DVD+R and DVR-R because I hoped they still use RitekF1 and F16, but both are MBI.

Tried some Discounter-ware and mostly of them are MBI, even Double Layer

I think Verbatims actual also MBI with MCC-Code

Exceptions I bought last time are:

Emtec DVD-R 16x 50 pcs Shrink are CMC

Kaufland Classic DVD-R 16x cakebox 10 pcs RitekF1

Intenso DVD+R are AML3 and -R UME02

For me UME02 are some of best DVD-media which are available, Class 2 burns with GH24NSC0, Class 3 with Pioneer S20, Matshita UJ8E2 S and Samsung 224.

However, Liteon 124, 524 and Plextor 755 don´t like em that much.

BTW, did FTI almost only make Printable DVD-media?

Well you get what you pay for, Maxell dropped prices for their DVD media some time ago after which they began replacing the RITEK MID’s for cheaper MBI ones. I checked the Maxell DVD±R’s at my local store a few weeks ago, purely out of interest and the DVD+R was MBI but DVD-R was still made in Taiwan, probably Ritek or CMC (they can be CMC as well). So unfortunately there is no longer guarantee you will get RITEK F1/F16 with Maxell. However if you’re looking for high quality Ritek DVD’s you should look no further than Traxdata Pro, their 16x media will always be RITEK F1 or F16 and they are much more consistent in their quality. Even the regular Traxdata seems fine but can have batch variation.

As for the Verbatim AZO disks, they can be MBI, CMC or FTI-made. MBI used to make good quality media but in the past year I have had nothing but bad experiences with everything they produce, DVD±R and CD-R. I’m very close to not recommending them at all at this point. CMC stuff will usually be higher quality although it’s still not as good as the FTI disks (which are nearly impossible to find though).

If you buy media in person, I don’t know why you are complaining of getting MBI disks from Maxell or Verbatim, because they tell you on the packaging which country they are made in. You buy “Made in India” - you get MBI. If you buy from online stores, then it may be impossible to tell and most shops these days won’t be able to tell you where your disks are made in. Consider paying a little more and buying in person.

FTI certainly makes branded media for Verbatim at least, but with their own brand (FalconMedia) I’ve only seen printable (inkjet, thermo etc.) disks, which makes sense since this brand is geared towards professionals.

Speaking of FTI, I remember you said its difficult to buy. However I know of a distributor in Germany (ADR AG) and they sell FalconMedia Mediline 50pk spindles for $17, less than what I pay for AZO media. They may also be able to provide you more information regarding FTI.

In shops here you only find some brands like Verbatim, Intenso, maybe Platinum, TDK (made in India) and shops own brands which are mostly or all made by MBI

So I ordered on ebay, can´t see where the Media was made before I get it.

MBI 01RG40 wasn´t so bad on some of my drives like BDR-208, PX 755, ihas 122 (hope also 124), Benq 1650. Hope actual batch is so good like the ones from Platinum I get 2013.

I´m not a fan of MBIPG101 R05,I think I can use em for temporary things or something.

Some shops like Nierle.com and cdr24.de list on some media the codes, but I don´t trust em. Intenso uses since year UME02 and AML, the shops still list Informedia-Codes

Traxdata are hard to find here, Ebay have some shops in UK which sells it but it´s simply to expensive for Standard-Ritek. And I don´t know why shops in UK want over 125€ for 10 Traxdata Double Layer?

I found this one on ebay:

Anyone knows whether Prodisc still exist? I bought more than 10 years ago the last Prodisc-media, labeled as Datawrite Grey Classic ProdiscF02

Now I saw on ebay a US-shop which sells Prodisc Printable 8x and 16x

I know Prodisc had problems with Philips in 2008 because of non-paid licenses, but I dunno whether Prodisc could pay

Read my first reply in this thread… you may be able to find NOS but I’d be careful to make sure it is what you think it is.

Found this on Facebook:

Last post Jan 2015

Dunno the logo, is it from the Prodisc who made S03 (because I only had media with Prodisc-Code but not Prodisc-lable) or did someone use this name?

Only found those media on US-shops, shipping costs are extremly high, about 50€, so I don´t order

[quote=“Tester_1, post:3, topic:397766”]
FTI-media seems to be very hard to find in Germany.
[/quote]Can you find products by Xlayer? I think this is a German company and should be easier to find. I asked them who makes their media and they said Xlayer Value is made by Ritek and Xlayer PRO by Falcon (with TDK MID). I can only find Xlayer Value here, but maybe Xlayer Pro is worth the try (even thought I read some negative comments about the TDK MID).

Xlayer is easy to find, but not the Pro-versions. I´ve bought 3 or 4 years ago DVD-media from Xlayer withTDK-Mid but now Xlayer is cheaper and I´m afraid of getting the worst cases: BD-R with Ritek, DVD-R with MBI

But I found on Ebay printable Falcons, Inkjet (which I bought for trying) and thermal printable

Here some first scans with the Falcon

Mixed results, atm I´m not very happy with Falcon, I have better results with Ritek and CMC (but also hard to find here), Umedisc, even with MBI -R.

Looks like Optodisc is a manufacturer which can still make good media

So, it looks like another one is gone

So I can hope in some years I will find DVD-media without MBI-code

Mine still have RITEK.

What are these burning classes?

You could be lucky to get Ritek instead of MBI

The quality-index from CDSpeed is mostly dependant on the max PIF-count, very high PI also have some influence.

The class-index (the only drives I have which can do advanced scan are Benq) is dependant on much more error-instances, like you can see here

Found Xlayer Pro on this shop

http://www.discobianco.com/xlayer-dvdr-85gb-thermo-innenring-metallisiert-stck-p-48361.html

Are the Pro general Falcon?

Non-Pro DL are MBI :\

As I already wrote above, according to Xlayer, Value is Ritek and PRO is Falcon (with TDK MID). I can only find Value, so I did not bother to check myself. But I am talking about DVD+R 4.7GB. I don’t know if the same is valid for DVD+R Double Layer 8.5GB.