Activision sues CoD 3 game pirates

vbimport

Game maker Activision is reportedly suing several more people accused of illegally copying and distributing Activision game titles for profit, although there still is a certain level of confusion surrounding the lawsuits. Before many of you get your pitch forks and torches ready, it seems Activision is attempting to strike down pirates who are copying and distributing physical copies of the game, not online file sharers.

This time around, New York resident James Strickland is being accused of copying and distributing several Activision game titles, including Call of Duty 3, and has been busted by Activision.

“Plaintiff is informed and believes that Defendant, without the permission or consent of Plaintiff, has copied the Copyrighted Video Game and distributed the Copyrighted Video Game to the public,” the Activision complaint against Strickland reads. “In doing so, Defendant has violated Plaintiff’s exclusive rights of reproduction and distribution.”

Rest of article available on front page of CDFreaks web site

What do you think about this?

I’m all for game studios taking it to organized pirates, but if this happens to be individual file sharing lawsuits, then I think the penalties are a bit stiff. But since the RIAA and other trade groups are trying to get people to settle out of court, they are doing so for lower prices, knowing that higher costs are simply unreasonable. :confused:

I’m curious to hear more about this case.