Acronis true image 8.0 or norton ghost 9.0

vbimport

Which is better acronis true image 8.0 or norton ghost 9.0(including customer support). It seems that ghost needs the net framework and I read about some conflict with ghost 9.0 and xp sp2(must modify boot int and dep) and to get support from symantic is a pain…

If I buy acronis true image 8.0 is it necessary to set up a security zone or can I just save my drive image of C to my second hard drive. I was a little confused on this point when I read the online manual.

from my personal experience i would recommend you to use acronis trueImage - you don’t have to set up a “security zone”, you can define one - but yes, you can just simply make a “clone”-image to your second hard drive…
you can make this while running windows, or boot from the boot-cd/dvd created while installation of trueImage and backup your hdd using a linux version of the program (of course, it looks exactly like the windows version)…

whar happens if you have the retail box with the original program disk. Do you still need to need to create a cd/dvd or can you the orogram disk as a boot disk.

don’t know, i was talking about the d-load version… :wink:
but i guess that you can use the retail-cd…

In my view Ghost. I never had any probs with it. One mess up but that all my fault! :stuck_out_tongue:

\\VH////
:cool:

ThanKs, I saw acronus true image 8.0 at compusa for $49. I normanally download software, but in this case I would rather buy the boxed version as I think is it is bootable…

I am just tired of spending days reformating my hd and reinstalling windows xp and all my games and programs (40gig) when xp gest messed up. I had nti drive backup 3.1 and that crap did not work at all when I used a created dvd restore set.

My vote goes to Acronis. I save some my backups to a second partition on the main drive, and save others to an external hard drive on USB2. I have restored my images well in excess of 200 times and have never had a bit of trouble.
I have never set up a security zone.

I don’t know about Ghost, but with Acronis you can do a backup while still in Windows, no need to reboot. You can at any point make a backup image, then continue working, very conveneint. OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN NEVER STORE YOUR IMAGES ON C:, BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT YOU’LL BE REPLACING.
This is my favorite piece of software, it has saved me countless hours on many occassion, it’s the first thing I install whenever I do a fresh install.

i have tried and tested almost every drive backup app out there. they all suck. however, the ONLY one i install and use is Acronis.True.Image.6.0.350.
and never, ever,ever,EVER rely on GHOST [any version]…you will rue the day u ever heard of ghost if you do

$29.99 for DL version, $34.99 for boxed retail :smiley:
acronis true image 8.0

i’ve only used ghost, but it did the job…2 yrs ago. i’ve read great things about TI…i’ll be getting it once i decide on new HDs.

Bootit NG is at the top of my list. Drive Image 5 is old, but also very stable and fast.

i bought accronis true image 8.0 installed 2nd hard drive. The question is how can you restore a image in the c drive from the 2nd hard drive if you are in windows. wont windows prevent you from overwriting it

You have two options when doing a restore of C:\ while in C:.
Easiest method is insert your CD Rescue disk that you created, making sure you set the Bios to boot from your CD drive first before your C drive. then just reboot, Acronis will load from the CD and you select your backup file you want.

The other option is while in Windows you can open up Acronis and chose to restore, you go through several screens and then it realizes you want to restore to the drive you’re already using, it can’t do it and advises you must reboot. You click on OK and the PC reboots then load Acronis that is already on your PC and you do the restore that way, time wise I say CD method a bit slower. Also my mouse movement much slower but no problem going through the screens. This is the method I normally use.
You can do a backup while in Windows, but a restore requires a reboot by the methods mentioned. Obviously you can never store an image on C:, only a different partition, drive, DVD’s, or CD’s.

I don’t think Acronis 8.0 sucks at all, it’s an excellent program.
I was using 7.0 and switched to 8.0 and the restore took twice as long, I went back to 7.0 until I read the build I was using had a bug in it.
I downloaded the upgrade to 8.0 build 796 and wow, cut my time in half from 7.0.
The latest build is 800 that I have installed presently. I’m confident if you went from the 6.0.350 to 8.0 build 800, you’ll be happy you did.
I’ve never, ever, had a restore fail me, regardless of if it was from CD’s or a different partition. I no longer use CD’s (DVD’s an option), takes too long. MY C: is streamlined and takes about 1 minute and 20 secs to do a backup. Restore takes a little longer, not the restore process, but rather the time it takes to run the program that needs a reboot.

Thanks for the info on the options. My acronis true image 8.0 disk is version 7.91, so I upgraded to build 8.00 It took me only minutes to make my image of 25 gig on 2nd hd as i am impressed. Also I read something about defraging could effect restore. Any info on this.

QUOTE=jefve]Thanks for the info on the options. My acronis true image 8.0 disk is version 7.91, so I upgraded to build 8.00 It took me only minutes to make my image of 25 gig on 2nd hd as i am impressed. Also I read something about defraging could effect restore. Any info on this.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you’re impressed, 25 gigs is huge, won’t be able to save too many of those. Why don’t you try to do a restore with your image for practice and make sure it functions properly. I guarantee you will be ever so grateful you got this program; it will save you endless hours some day.

My apologies, forgot to mention defrag. I always defrag right before an image backup, makes things go much smoother and less chance for error in my opinion.

However, I’m a bit of a nut, I do a defrag every time before I shut down my computer, some says it serves no purpose, but it makes me feel better. It usually only takes 10 seconds cause it’s pretty clean already. I use Diskeeper 8.0 to do the defrag.

Yo-

I have been using Acronis True Image for the past four years - and it has saved me countless hours in rebuilding a scrambled “C” drive-

I am even listed twice on the Acronis Main Page in “Testimonials”

It is probably the best program that I have ever bought-

Mike

Mike
In my opinion, IT IS THE BEST PROGRAM I EVER BOUGHT!

I USED to love acronis. No more. The last 2 versions suck BIG. You can do a Google search for how one guy’s server got hosed.

The CD’s won’t boot anymore. How can you screw up something like a boot cd is what I want to know.

I’ve just spent 2 days trying to get v11 to work. Can’t go back to v10 because it won’t read v11’s archives…DIE ACRONIS…

Btw, I’m a tech guy, so I know what I’m talking about…z

[QUOTE=zardiw;2002229]I USED to love acronis. No more. The last 2 versions suck BIG. You can do a Google search for how one guy’s server got hosed.

The CD’s won’t boot anymore. How can you screw up something like a boot cd is what I want to know.

I’ve just spent 2 days trying to get v11 to work. Can’t go back to v10 because it won’t read v11’s archives…DIE ACRONIS…

Btw, I’m a tech guy, so I know what I’m talking about…z[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

:\ PBKAC most likely.

Why dig up an old thread may i ask?

[quote=zardiw;2002229]I USED to love acronis. No more. The last 2 versions suck BIG. You can do a Google search for how one guy’s server got hosed.

Btw, I’m a tech guy, so I know what I’m talking about…z[/quote] Did you revive this old thread to tell us that you dont like Acronis True Image, one of the best programs on the market or do you have a question we can help you with?