Acoustica - Convering DRM files

vbimport

Many people have been using this version of acoustica to convert their DRM files:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips858.html

This version is still converting files very well. However…

If you use this version, do not upgrade!

The new version of acoustica has fixed this “bug”
http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-wav-converter/history.htm

Version 2.5 build 19- April 14th, 2005
Fixes tag issues with WMA (Track number missing)
Fixes bug converting some small sounds
Fixes issues with Save As dialog when another file exists with the same name.
Fixes bug when ripping CDs and tag info. (Was not using genre and track #)
Fixes bug when converting to WAV and then back. (Tags were not being preserved!)
Fixes bug that allowed some users to convert WMA’s with DRM.
Fixes reading of MP3 tags made by Real Networks

In summary, the older version of acoustica noted above still works well. Once you start using it, just do not upgrade it.

They released the new version because their DRM license for the existing version is scheduled for termination. There is a new key for the new version that will continue forward. The conversion trick will probably stop working within the week. Amazingly, someone actually wrote them about this and asked them “when ripping off tracks from FYE, your software doesn’t carry over the track numbers properly so when are u gonna fix this so i can get my tracks with the right numbers.”

DUH!!!

We seriously need a more private forum that has some sort of entrance quiz to filter out complete morons who actually write the software companies and tell them they are using their software to “rip off” music services. Why are people so stupid.

it would be too hard to do this… you will never really know who’s here to find solutions to problems like napster or ppl who work for the RIAA or other music related companies that are keeping their eye out for the lastest hacks and cracks… it’s always gonna be an on-going battle between hackers and patchers…

DRM license for the existing version is scheduled for termination

Do you know this to be true or are you spectulating?

It’ll be interesting to see. As far as I can tell, they’ve been using the same DRM license for all of their versions thus far. I bet they assume the new version fixed “the bug” and the old version will continue to work.

Anyway, it was easily worth the money for me to rip all my protected WMAs to MP3s. At least those few DVDs full of music are mine… forever. :slight_smile:

When you find the private forum let me know… I’ll be there.

I know it to be true. I have some industry sources who share messages of interest with me from some of their own online forums.

Microsoft has lowered the boom on this issue after the Acoustica software loophole coming on the heels of Virtuosa. They definitely feel a more comprehensive solution to this is needed or they’ll be putting out these fires all summer. So, after informing Acoustica last week they were in violation of their licensing agreements, they also decided to start revoking permissions for transcoding -any- DRM protected content, regardless of the permissions set by the copyright holder. The thinking is this would shut down all transcoders which go online to check DRM status of a track prior to conversion. If there is a wholesale “no” in the key, nothing should convert. If I were a licensed software provider and Microsoft broke my software because of something I had a license to provide, I’d be mighty upset. For their part, Acoustica is just confused.

The updated DRM made it into the system over the weekend, and by Monday morning it should be fairly universal.

The real concern they have next is PyMusique and software like it that can potentially strip DRM off altogether. If that succeeds, no amount of screwing around with DRM license permissions is going to work. They are especially fearful about developments in the last week which claim to bury Napster’s DRM. The programmers say they just want to enable playback for Linux users, but just getting that to happen is just a step away from opening it up to eliminate the DRM issue altogether. There remains considerable rivalry between iTunes and everyone else, and Steve Jobs regularly delights in exposing competitors’ security holes.

Two major record conglomerates are also driving complaints about consumers recording tracks in real time and saving them to their PCs, but the majority don’t see it as a big deal.

The entire industry is continuing to push for hardware DRM “solutions” which would mandate that mainboards and/or sound cards have DRM built into them which would end -all- of these workarounds. There are two Los Angeles-area Democrats and a whole pile of Republicans who are friendly to the industry position who may seek legislative action to require DRM hardware sales in the US. People really need to begin voting in their best interests. There are a lot of elected officials in the pockets of these conglomerates, and they’ll happily legislate away your rights to fair use.

I believe everything you say to be the truth. It certainly makes sense.

Microsoft knows they need a protected audio stream from software -> hardware -> ear… as much as possible.

With the new audio standard it even becomes more interesting. The new standard is able to handle mulitple audio streams (in and out) at the same time. If this is true, they’ll be able to domain the digital signal… but audio (tunebitish) rippers will just be an In-Out cable away.

None of this makes a lot of sense in the long run for the audio companies or Microsoft. If you allow your music ripped to CDs, then it can be ripped that way.

Hell, if I had the time I would code a software CD burner driver. You fool napster or virgdig into thinking that it’s a cd-burner… it captures the waves… and then it spits the waves back at you.

There are a hundred ways to play the game. Leeches like us will find ways…

You sound like you know enough people that you are hanging around to inform them as much as us. :slight_smile: If you are, then you are a bastard. :slight_smile: However, it wouldn’t surprise me. If I were them, I would hang around here too.

I have methods for starting a protected forum for this kinda stuff… but who the hell do you let in? The fun is figuring it… and letting everybody else enjoy the fun, but perhaps brief, ride.

First… as someone who converted several thousand files myself, I can tell you there is no way I am going to be so stupid as to alert industry or software people about fixes. The info I am getting is strictly one way. Beyond reporting some news, I keep my mouth shut. Unfortunately, common sense is not common enough because a lot of dumb people actually wrote the powers that be to resolve technical issues that their software wasn’t supposed to do in the first place. Clever… real clever.

I support the concept of an all-you-can-eat rental format - especially Virgin’s at just $8 a month. I would happily just load their protected WMA files on my portable player… but no… I have an earlier generation iRiver, an iPod Mini, and a Panasonic SD unit and NONE of them will support the stupid Janus protocol. I’m not going to buy a fourth MP3 player just to listen to protected WMA tracks! I’m not a thief - I will maintain a subscription with Virgin for as long as I listen to the tracks I converted. I am just not going to tolerate hardware manufacturers dictating what music service I can use. Apple should build in Janus support and other manufacturers should support iTunes.

We do need a private forum - I suggest combing through messages and choosing people who actually contributed something useful as a start. It’s not perfect, but it’s sure better than people who copy posts here and then actually SELL THEM on eBay.

I guess, in the end, the only thing you can rely on is to connect the line out to Line in on ANOTHER PC … why another PC… well sooner or later, the players are going to be smart enough not to play while recording is in progress.