Ack! Why are my DVD recordings so quiet!?

Now this problem has genuinely baffled me. I have a bargain basement (Though surprisingly well equipped and decent) Vistron DHR-5006 DVD Recorder / HDD recorder. I used to make VHS to DVD transfers (Always in SP or SP+ - No lower) of films I recorded from the TV. But I can’t seem to understand - Why do the DVD recordings of them appear so quiet?

Originally I thought the VHS recorder might have something wrong with the audio heads (Originally played back on a 1991 Sony Mono VCR deck then later on a 2003 Sayno HiFi unit) which might be causing the problems but that can’t be it either since they play okay through the TV.

The DVD recorder, from every other source (Firewire, DTV, etc) records the sound as they appear on the source, so it can’t be a problem with the recording step.

Although the sound is listenable, I have to turn the volume up all the way to full to make it at least listenable.

I have a theory, that during the recording process the digitalisation of it must have muffled the sound. Even though those recordings have been ditched in favour of re-recording them off the TV to the DVD format. No point having inferior VHS tranfers of films when I could have superior sound and more faithful picture reproduction, or simply buy the retail DVD from the bargain bin.

If it means anything, all of my tapes (Even those my nannan recorded in the mid 80s) all recorded in mono, but I fail to see how this makes any difference.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2595382]If it means anything, all of my tapes (Even those my nannan recorded in the mid 80s) all recorded in mono, but I fail to see how this makes any difference.[/QUOTE] On a VHS deck you can often switch audio output between the mono audio track, a digital stereo track (e.g. NICAM), the left or right track only, and a mix of the mono and digital stereo tracks. Try and see if switching to the mono audio track increases volume level during VHS playback.

Also DrageMester, I can’t do such thing - The Sanyo one is a cheap consumer unit and whilst, the Sony is a prosumer, it doesn’t offer that feature.

Offically I stopped using my VCR earlier this year because I converted many of my tapes - the rare recordings of TV eg Top Of The Pops during the 80s have got, but near all commercial films recorded from the TV from my VHS tape I’ve just binned, and downloaded again or bought. There wasn’t any point keeping them when I could pick up the films from the £2.99 bargain bin and have full DVD quality - Extras n’all.

I think you have it .The conversion of the analog audio on the VHS tapes to digital audio on the DVD disc is not working.
Probably the best way would be using a good capture card in your computer.
Go into that from your VHS player.
If you search the forum you should be able to find out quite a bit about this.
Then you could demux the video file . Then load the audio track into Audacity . Amplify it if you still needed to.
Check out this YouTube :

Then mux the audio track back in. Hopefully the sync would be OK.

[QUOTE=cholla;2595434]I think you have it .The conversion of the analog audio on the VHS tapes to digital audio on the DVD disc is not working.
Probably the best way would be using a good capture card in your computer.
Go into that from your VHS player.

If you search the forum you should be able to find out quite a bit about this.
Then you could demux the video file . Then load the audio track into Audacity . Amplify it if you still needed to.
Check out this YouTube :

Then mux the audio track back in. Hopefully the sync would be OK.[/QUOTE]

I’m still a bit confused, I thought the conversion of analogue audio is fundamentally the same principle if I recorded it from a different source since I’m (re)recording via the traditional SCART? :confused:

The only reason why I ask this question was a mate of mine sent me a DVD copy of Destination Docklands and In Concert: Lyon (1986) (Both by Jean Michel Jarre) a few weeks ago. They were recorded on a different recorder unit and to my surprise the DVD copy is surprisingly more faithful of the VHS.

I did try via capture card, (Can’t remember what the name of it is, it was a cheap one anyway) but to the same disappointing results as recording it to DVD :frowning:

Why is it not working though? Is this a faulty component or something? It’s interesting as Vistron is a no name, supermarket-esque brand of recorder, it is assembled more using a concoction of equally no name parts from around the world. It is assembled in China, but parts have been brought in from Korea, etc…

Any idea how long cheap and cheerful recorders last? I’m thinking of the laser in the burner itself, has a sneak feeling that will wear down quicker…

I have never used a SCART connection so I can’t tell you how recording through it might work.
I know on VHS tapes it is usually the video portion that has Macrovision with the audio going strait through.
I have only done VHS with composite RCA type connectors to a DVD recorder or non-encrypted(Macrovision) VHS on a combo unit.
I have done encrypted VHS through a GREX but on it the audio is connected direct.

@Cholla,

I do apologise, I didn’t make myself clear. The video tapes in question are all of which I (or family members!) recorded on blanks, so needless to say they aren’t official Macrovision protected cassettes. Although hampering the audio could be as a result of Macrovision - Sadly, it can’t be since all of the tapes I have tranferred are my own.

Welcome to the forum, AnjoAlfaro! :slight_smile:

The post doesn’t seem to bare revelence to what my question is, did you perhaps post in the wrong forum?

@ Chad_Bronson , From previous topics I thought you were working with personally recorded VHS tapes but I wanted to make sure.
I believe the output of your VCR is being lowered within itself as soon as you try to record from it.
Here is a test you might try: With all set up to record & the DVD recorder connected to your TV . The VCR should only be connected to the DVD recorder & not to the TV directly in any way. Once recording how does the audio sound ?
As I said I haven’t worked with SCART connections . I actually have only seen pictures of them. Does your VCR have RCA composite out jacks ?

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2595382]Now this problem has genuinely baffled me. I have a bargain basement (Though surprisingly well equipped and decent) Vistron DHR-5006 DVD Recorder / HDD recorder. I used to make VHS to DVD transfers (Always in SP or SP+ - No lower) of films I recorded from the TV. But I can’t seem to understand - Why do the DVD recordings of them appear so quiet?

Originally I thought the VHS recorder might have something wrong with the audio heads (Originally played back on a 1991 Sony Mono VCR deck then later on a 2003 Sayno HiFi unit) which might be causing the problems but that can’t be it either since they play okay through the TV.

The DVD recorder, from every other source (Firewire, DTV, etc) records the sound as they appear on the source, so it can’t be a problem with the recording step.

Although the sound is listenable, I have to turn the volume up all the way to full to make it at least listenable.

I have a theory, that during the recording process the digitalisation of it must have muffled the sound. Even though those recordings have been ditched in favour of re-recording them off the TV to the DVD format. No point having inferior VHS tranfers of films when I could have superior sound and more faithful picture reproduction, or simply buy the retail DVD from the bargain bin.

If it means anything, all of my tapes (Even those my nannan recorded in the mid 80s) all recorded in mono, but I fail to see how this makes any difference.[/QUOTE]

Hi can you send me a list of your top of the pops shows please, i have over 500 shows from 1967 -1995

[QUOTE=topofthepopsfan;2604035]Hi can you send me a list of your top of the pops shows please, i have over 500 shows from 1967 -1995[/QUOTE]
p.s. my email address is (Removed by moderator)

[QUOTE=topofthepopsfan;2604035]Hi can you send me a list of your top of the pops shows please, i have over 500 shows from 1967 -1995[/QUOTE]

You cannot ask for copies of his recordings in these forums. Home recordings are for each individual’s use, and are not to be distributedd.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2604058]You cannot ask for copies of his recordings in these forums. Home recordings are for each individual’s use, and are not to be distributedd.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by topofthepopsfan
Hi can you [B]send me a list[/B]

Kerry I don’t think sending a list is illegal, or have I misunderstood the reply :confused:

Asking for a list is not, in and of itself, against the rules. Intent is the main point…I can see no other intent than to obtain some of the recordings.

If I’m wrong, then topofthepopsfan can tell me so.

Ouch, sounds like my thread has turned the tables :confused:

Forgive me if I’ve misinterpreted the rules, but Kerry he merely asked for a list of what I do have, he never directly asked for my address or for copies of what I have. It might be possible he had no intention to ask for copies - Which is, of course, against the rules on Club MyCE. So therefore, can I still post a list of what I have on Club MyCE?

• I have TOTP Christmas 2010 (BBC One recording)
  • Some TOTP content recorded 1985/1986 (VHS Rip from BBC One)
  • TOTP Christmas 1985 (Channel Five re-broadcast)

No sarcasm intended but for that list I doubt topofthepopsfan would try to get copies from you. If he has 500 shows as he/she posted.

Fair game Cholla - My list is pretty pathetic in comparision - It seems highly probable that he already has what I have - In which case that’s no problem. Apart from the 2010 and Christmas 1985 which I rerecorded, these is what my nannan recorded. In, er, 1985. I wonder how much a VCR cost back then…