Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista

Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer to openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in the Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

Link: http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=9579&pagtype=all

:cool: :cool:

Yep, I wanted to buy my wife a laptop but the Acer I liked only seems to offer Vista.
I’m buggered if I am going to give £50 or there abouts for something I do not want. :a
I would be quite happy to have XP but it is almost impossible to find a machine I like with the option.
I’m also quite happy to use Linux but being Scrooge like don’t want to be ripped off buying an OS I will not use.
I have set up several machines for clients that have Vista without any real problems but it’s not for me.
I see that M$ is already talking about the next OS for delivery in 2-3 years, just about when us beta testers have got all the bugs out of Vista. :bigsmile:

We were spoilt with XP, the requirements of the MPAA for HiDef content was so difficult to implement that vista was delayed repeatedly, and windows XP enjoyed an extended product cycle … OS’s are a profitable industry, and M$ will always be releasing a new OS for $$$.
This will remain the case, until everyone recognises the advantages of, and can be bothered learning how to use, an open source OS. it doesn’t have to be linux based. There are alternatives.

Wow…Acer coming out and saying something? Must have something to do with them getting back into the PC market in the US after such a long absence. Either way, while I’m sure Acer’s trying more to get some publicity than anything else, I remember checking Dell’s site a few months ago (yes, that’s dated), but while Vista was already out, they will still offering only XP for those systems. They’ve since made the switch, but that doesn’t mean it’s b/c Vista is the ‘hale and hearty’ OS to have. I wouldn’t have it if someone gave me the top flight version free.