Acer notebook for $399.99

This week, Circuitcity has a deal on Acer notebook (AS3618AWLCI) for $399.99 plus taxes. I’d like to know how good this notebook is. Here is the specs.

Acer Aspire Notebook PC (AS3618AWLCI)

Notebook performance: This notebook features the Intel ® Pentium ® M processor 735A, 512MB of DDR2 533 memory and a 60GB ATA/100 hard drive. This capable PC also offers a 1.7GHz processing speed and a 2MB L2 cache.

Sharp display: This 15.4” WXGA LCD display features TFT active matrix technology and can display up to 16.7 million colors. Want to expand your view? Acer GridVista technology supports simultaneous multi-window viewing on a second display.

Combo drive: Use this CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive to burn files, music, photos or video onto CD or enjoy your favorite DVD movie.

Graphics and sound: The integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with 128MB of shared video memory and two built-in speakers are perfect for everyday multimedia.

Enhanced wireless: Integrated 802.11g/b wireless lets you stay connected on the road. Acer SignalUp â„¢ technology generates an omni-directional signal sphere for superior signal reception and wider range, boosting your wireless connection with more stability and faster data transfer.

Software bundle:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with SP2
Acer Arcade, GridVista, eManager and Launch Manager
Norton AntiVirusâ„¢
Adobe® Reader®
NTI CD-Makerâ„¢

that’s a very nice system, but it’s no gaming computer.

if you’re looking for something for back to school or for the parents to surf the net and check email you’ve found a GREAT value.

no dvd burner, 512mb ram is acceptable, but 1GB is more the norm these days. 60gb hard drive is on the small side, but extra drives are cheap and plentiful.

the deal comes most likely due to the processor being “old” model in comparison to the newest core2 duos that are out. this is no way makes it bad…that’s a very nice system for the price in my opinion.

if i had $300 i’d buy it for myself for sure.

What prevented me from jumping on this deal is the fact that there is no DVD burner and only 512mb of RAM. I could live with the 60gb hard drive since this laptop will just be a road machine… burn cds and dvds while I am away from the house and check email and message boards. Once I get home I can transfer any video files.
If this was a 1gig machine with dvd burner I would have grabbed 2 of these… one for me, one for my GF.