Acer cpu fan

hi i own a acer aspire t671, and it keeps restarting itself. i think i have found the problem there is a lot of dust on the cpu fan. i have worked out i need to remove the fan to clean it. however this is connected to a heatsink which is positioned over the processor on the motherboard. in each corner of the heatsink sink is like a screw with a spring on. should i unscrew these screws to remove the heat sink. i would be grateful if anybody could help me, thanks in advance.:slight_smile:

Yes, you should remove the heatsink and clean the dust from the heatsink and fan. After you have finished cleaning the dust off, you will need to remove the thermal compound from the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink with rubbing alcohol. Then put fresh thermal compound on the CPU before putting the heatsink back on and securing it down with the push pins.

Here is how to install the cooler once you are ready:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/?pg=6

thanks for your help

The fan can usually be removed from the heatsink separately.
The heatsink will be clamped to the mobo in one of several different ways.

If you’re reomoving the HeatSinkFan (HSF) as a unit be advised that the thermal paste between the HSF and processor can act like glue.
Processors have been ripped out of their sockets by folks not knowing what they were doing. This is bad.

I use a very slight twisting/lifting motion to release the HSF.
There have been times where I had to use a hair dryer to warm the HS which in turn warms/loosens the thermal paste :iagree:

Depending on the cpu fan, you could just use a can of compressed air (larger can) to clean out the whole MB and cpu fan. As the can of compressed air gets cold and looses pressure just run it under hot water for a minute. You definitly dont’ want to remove the cpu cooler if you don’t have to, since the thermal paste has to be cleaned off and fresh compound applied.

^ :iagree:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2200553]Depending on the cpu fan, you could just use a can of compressed air (larger can) to clean out the whole MB and cpu fan. As the can of compressed air gets cold and looses pressure just run it under hot water for a minute. You definitly dont’ want to remove the cpu cooler if you don’t have to, since the thermal paste has to be cleaned off and fresh compound applied.[/QUOTE]
I just wanted to put in that I’d try this as well, before going into everything that jflan suggested. Once you’ve tried that … if needed remove the cpu cooling fan & go from there.
Cheers. Cody

[QUOTE=codyBane;2202148]I just wanted to put in that I’d try this as well, before going into everything that jflan suggested. Once you’ve tried that … if needed remove the cpu cooling fan & go from there.
Cheers. Cody[/QUOTE]
Hence, jflan’s carefully crafted sentence #1 :bigsmile: