Acer Apire 7736ZG TSST

vbimport

Hi,
I have the above model of lalptop.
The only problem is I don’t know the brand of my optical drive.
All I can get from the Device manager is this:
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C with the current firmware version
AC1. As far as I see there are multiple manufacturers for this drive, including Samsung and Toshiba.
How can I identify mine?

Short answer: Samsung.

Long answer: TSST is a joint venture between Toshiba and Samsung (Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology). For most consumer drives released as a TSST-branded drive, marketing, support, and firmware updates are handled by Samsung, while Toshiba helps with the underlying technology to some degree. There are some old drives made exclusively by Toshiba and marketed as such, and there are some marketed by Toshiba but are considered to be rebadges of the TSST/Samsung equivalent; in either case, those would be identified strictly as “Toshiba” when connected to the computer. Samsung’s drives have pretty much identified as “TSSTcorp” ever since the joint venture was created, and only under certain circumstances would you see a Samsung drive identify itself as “Samsung” (maybe some drives from around 2000?).

These days, Toshiba doesn’t really release optical drives under its brand name, leaving Samsung to do that.

And just like every other optical drive manufacturer, they do not necessarily help out with drives in pre-built machines from big vendors like Acer. Optical drive manufacturers tend to rely on the computer vendor to provide all support.