Accidently Oveburned Disk

I was burning an image with ImgBurn when i got this error. I was totally bewildered and was wondering what went wrong.

After checking through the ImgBurn log files I found this
“W 15:45:30 User accepted disc space warning and is attempting to overburn!”
I must have clicked ok it by mistake.After failling to write the last few sectors to the Disk (due to lack of space), ImgBurn did offer the option to close the disk, and I think it succeeded in that.

Anyway before writing I used DVDdisaster to write RS02 ECC data to the disk(about 5%) and I believe it is these data that was on the excess blocks that were not written.
I can Read the disc without any problems(I think it takes slightly longer to load than a regular DVD though) And the PI/PE scans are good too. just out of curiosity i tried to recover the disk using DVDisaster .and it worked.I have attached the screens below.

What I want to know is whether this disk will go bad in a few days or weeks , OR am I okay since it is the last few sectors of ecc data that got lost and not the real data .I am not really sure how Dvdisaster works and how it "attaches the extra ecc data to your disk. I want this to last at least 2 years + as I’m leaving for a while and these archives will be left at home.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

DVdisaster Reading image:

verify image:

Recover image:

Well first off how big is the file itself? Maybe you should try to reburn to DL media usually I advise using overburn cause you don’t know the quality of the end result or what will happen. Cause commercials dvd aren’t overburned that should at least give you a idea why they don’t do it. Maybe cause it doesn’t work or play will at overburn media.

thanks for the Reply. but actually no need for DL here. the original files was 4.13GB and less than a dvd. so i used DVDisaster to add ECC data to the remaining space. somehow it got the Disk size wrong and has added a few sectors past the capacity of my disk. And silly me didnt relly see the Overburn warning ImgBurn Supposedly gave me.

By the way, how did DVDisaster get the sector count wrong? what is a safe number of sectors to prevent this from happening again?

What program did you use to create that image to burn??? You should’ve just used ImgBurn to burn the file or iso image to another blank dvd.

First I created an .ISO from my files with Imgburn.( 4.13GB) since there was space left over I decided to Fill that space with Error correction data. So I then used DVDisaster in RS02 mode add ECC data to the previous .ISO file.

threre is a setting in DVDisaster asking for the amount of sectors in the blank DVD. this is set default at 2295104. Somehow this changed to 2296317.and this is where the problem arose from. those extra 1213 sectors was not written to disk.But those sectors contained error correction data and [B]not[/B]my actual data. So I guess i am good.

Anyway i am more curious about technical side of this.You know like how DVDisaster appends the ECC data to the .ISO file. And what happens when you try to overburn and fail ? (from my Exp. the disk still gets finalised, and you only seem to loose the specific data that would not fit. )

[QUOTE=IndiRacer;2408194]First I created an .ISO from my files with Imgburn.( 4.13GB) since there was space left over I decided to Fill that space with Error correction data. So I then used DVDisaster in RS02 mode add ECC data to the previous .ISO file.

threre is a setting in DVDisaster asking for the amount of sectors in the blank DVD. this is set default at 2295104. Somehow this changed to 2296317.and this is where the problem arose from. those extra 1213 sectors was not written to disk.But those sectors contained error correction data and [B]not[/B]my actual data. So I guess i am good.

Anyway i am more curious about technical side of this.You know like how DVDisaster appends the ECC data to the .ISO file. And what happens when you try to overburn and fail ? (from my Exp. the disk still gets finalised, and you only seem to loose the specific data that would not fit. )[/QUOTE]

Well if that is your specific question you should contact the creators of that software for more info. Overburning is not recommended by anyone as the outer edges of the media doesn’t gurantee that it will work or cause problem as most standalone from what I know don’t play Overburn DVD.