Acceptable Mileage On A Used Plextor?

vbimport

What are your thoughts on the amount of burn time a used Plextor has, and how do you tell the difference between when a drive has been used like a crack whore, and when it is still like a virgin? What general ranges of burn times for CDs and DVDs would you consider acceptable?

For example, with my first two Plextor drives, they had PXinfo lines like this:

ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V1.04 TLA:0104 (S/N:XXXXXX) (0.0.14A - 5.40.4D)

ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V6.06 TLA:0106 (S/N:XXXXXX) (1.37.26C - 0.0.0A)

Those are pretty low accumulated burn times, especially for the second drive which was previously installed in a Rimage duplicator.

Now, I recently obtained my first Plextor Premium, and PXinfo told me this:

ID 0 (H) PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM V1.02 (S/N:XXXXXX) (8.40.56D)

That seems kind of middle of the road, not abused, but not as new as I would have liked either. What do you think?

[QUOTE=negritude;2178642]What are your thoughts on the amount of burn time a used Plextor has, and how do you tell the difference between when a drive has been used like a crack whore, and when it is still like a virgin? What general ranges of burn times for CDs and DVDs would you consider acceptable?[/QUOTE]
For me a used drive should only have a few hours burn time. This is the only way to be sure the laser is not too much degraded. The burn time is only one point of the drive “mileage” for me. I think most burners are used as DVD-ROM drive also. Therefore the laser was used for media reading and this times were not “documented”, but the laser degrades.

[QUOTE=negritude;2178642]
ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V1.04 TLA:0104 (S/N:XXXXXX) (0.0.14A - 5.40.4D)

ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V6.06 TLA:0106 (S/N:XXXXXX) (1.37.26C - 0.0.0A)[/QUOTE]
Both looks good for me, the second better, but finally 5.40h is really not bad. The 5:40h I’d say that could be ~50 disks. I assumed a average burn time of ~7min. If all disks was made @16x if would be a few more disks

[QUOTE=negritude;2178642]Those are pretty low accumulated burn times, especially for the second drive which was previously installed in a Rimage duplicator.[/QUOTE]
Yes that’s a not often used duplicator. I think you made a good deal.

Now, I recently obtained my first Plextor Premium, and PXinfo told me this:

ID 0 (H) PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM V1.02 (S/N:XXXXXX) (8.40.56D)

That seems kind of middle of the road, not abused, but not as new as I would have liked either. What do you think?[/QUOTE]
I think around 8-10h should be ok if the price is fair. Here in Germany the prices for PX-760 drives are climbing high @ebay. And I’d never pay 80-100EUR for a drive with more than 10 hours burn time. The best way is still get unused drives. One year ago I got a unused Premium not factory sealed but in original box, packed in original plastic bag, and never used for ~40EUR.
At this time I bought one used PX-760SA with a black bezel (all my other “SA’s” have beige bezels and Plextor doesn’t have black SA bezels anymore). I asked the ebay seller making a log file with PXInfo and sending it to me. The drive had ~2h CD burn time and ~5h DVD burn time. That was ok for me. BTW this drive still works fine and I payed ~45EUR if I remember correctly.

[QUOTE=TM;2178903]I think around 8-10h should be ok if the price is fair.[/QUOTE]

I paid $25 USD (approximately $17 EUR) for the Plextor Premium (it was also in decent cosmetic condition).

My old 708A had more than 200 hours of DVD burning time. I didn’t notice any degradation over that time. I really used that drive excesiively for several years. 4x burning has always been good, 8x was always kind of bad. But due to the fact that 708 is a poor 8x burner not due to laser degradation.

And now from my second Plextor Premium:

ID 0 (H) PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM V1.06 (S/N:XXXXXX) (2.25.8D)

My European black Premium and my (first) Japanese black Premium2 were previously used before I got them, but I’ve since then mostly used the Premium for reading, and the Premium2 for 2x/4x burns.

ID 0 (D:) PLEXTOR CD-R  PREMIUM  V1.07 (S/N:254xxx) (0.26.35B)

ID 1 (E:) PLEXTOR CD-R  PREMIUM2 V1.02 (S/N:109xxx) (8.51.50D)

Oh dear, I only found out about this feature today, my installed Premium (1.07)

PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM V1.07 (S/N:xxxxxx) (186.47.51D)

Does it matter if all the burns were done at 4x, from new. Laser use is still Laser use, no matter what the speed?

Hi, I have an used Plextor PX-760A. I should have known of this tool earlier there is a lot of usage of the CD functions, but the thing that I’m surprised is that I have burned some DVDs with this drive and it still remains in 0.0.0A. Is this normal??

ID 0 (G:) PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-760A   V1.07 TLA:0007 (S/N:XXXXXX) (810.30.13D - 0.0.0A)
Drive Model: PX-760A
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV
Jumper Settings: 001
Buffer Underrun Proof disabled
AutoStrategy: enabled
PoweRec: enabled
Auto Insert Notification: yes
DMA: yes

By the way, it does burn and reads cds fine.

[QUOTE=mea_culpa;2183172]Does it matter if all the burns were done at 4x, from new. Laser use is still Laser use, no matter what the speed?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK it does indeed matter. High output stresses the laser more the lower output. For example some people have reported phenomena with their drives, where highspeed-writing was out of control while burning at lower speed was still giving them OK results.

I’m definitely under the impression that using lower speeds tends to prolong your equipments life.

BTW: The same speed does not always mean the same laser power. Some dyes used as recording layer need more power to be written to, some need less. So there is even a difference at 4x speed, depending on what media you use.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2183206]ID 0 (G:) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V1.07 TLA:0007 (S/N:XXXXXX) (810.30.13D - 0.0.0A)[/QUOTE]

A strange result. There are two tools that allow for getting this information. One is the “RMA Info”, the other is the “PX Info”. See. http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/utilities.asp?choice=Utilities

Which one did you use and does the other one give the same result?

[QUOTE=hwp;2183240]
Which one did you use and does the other one give the same result?[/QUOTE]

I used PXinfo 1.26. I going to use the other tool to see if the results are the same.

Checked with RMAinfo and the results are the same. It’s really strange. The firmware came preloaded with 1.07 (which is the latest) so I didn’t change the firmware (should I reflash again :confused:). Should I burn with another software? I’ve burned with N ero and ImgBurn.

ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V6.06 TLA:0106 (S/N:XXXXXX) (1.37.26C - 0.0.0A)
[/QUOTE]

@negritude: Have you burned a DVD with this drive? Maybe you have the same issue like my drive.

I’d simply ignore the issue if the drive works fine.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2183634]@negritude: Have you burned a DVD with this drive? Maybe you have the same issue like my drive.[/QUOTE]

That was the PXinfo information from when I first got the drive, before I made any burns of my own.

[QUOTE=hwp;2183742]I’d simply ignore the issue if the drive works fine.[/QUOTE]

I 'd agree :slight_smile:

Ok thanks guys.

My latest used Plextor aquisition:

ID 0 (I) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V1.01 TLA:0001 (S/N:XXXXXX) (0.29.55B - 4.16.38D)

The cosmetic condition of the drive is so good that you could mistake it for new. It seems like it was treated well and not used much, but I haven’t done any burns yet, so we’ll see.

[QUOTE=negritude;2408180]My latest used Plextor aquisition:

ID 0 (I) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V1.01 TLA:0001 (S/N:XXXXXX) (0.29.55B - 4.16.38D)

The cosmetic condition of the drive is so good that you could mistake it for new. It seems like it was treated well and not used much, but I haven’t done any burns yet, so we’ll see.[/QUOTE]

The downside of this is, that as far as i know the times above only reflect the “writing” time of a drive and not how much it was used for reading. Plz correct if I am wrong. :flower: