AC3/DTS to PCM/MP2 in DVD

vbimport

Hey

I need a DVD with PCM audio for my project. I have loads of DVD movies, but all of them have either AC3 or DTS audio. Is there a way to convert the AC3 audio to PCM. The movies I have are not encrypted. The end product I am looking for is to have a DVD movie, with the same menu functionality, video properties but to have PCM audio instead of the original AC3.

Thanks and Cheers

Lots of tools can do this, but the PCM (uncompressed wav ) in most cases will/can be as much as 10x the size of the ac3 audio…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?convert=AC3%20to%20WAV

If i was doing just AC3 to PCM then what you are suggesting is fine. All the tools mentioned in the link takes a .ac3 file and converts it into a .wav file. I want a tool that takes .vob file and gives a .vob file as an output with the A/V sync ensured.

I tried to do this the round about way by extracting the PCM and video out seperately from the .vob and then putting them back together using a DVD authoring tool. But the authoring tool is re-encoding the audio back to ac3 and then composing the DVD. The authoring tool that i used is DVD Flick, DVDForger and so on.

I can get a avi file with compressed video and PCM audio from VirtualDub. Does anyone have an idea as to how to convert this into a DVD without changing the format of the audio and re-encoding the video alone to MPEG2.

Thanks

I suggested those tools b/c you asked this,
"Is there a way to convert the AC3 audio to PCM. "

I think most if not all ‘true’ authoring apps need AC3 audio only…I’m not sure which one’s will accept PCM as import and not convert to ac3…
Try something like DVDauthorGui or similar,import m2v and ac3 audio…

DVDLab Pro can use an m2v video stream and a pcm wav file as input. It won’t convert to ac3 unless you have the TMPGenc AC3 converter installed, and even then you have to deliberately change the format of the audio.

There is a free, fully functional trial available for DVDLab Pro.

If you have Nero, try Nero Vision. It allows you to choose among several audio output formats, LPCM being one. Womble’s MPEG Video Wizard DVD will also allow you to output LPCM. Both will not re-encode DVD compliant video, only the audio is re-encoded.

When you convert the AC3 or DTS to PCM you will need to keep the bitrate the same, so if the AC3 is 448kbps then your PCM file will have to be, if you use a higher bitrate than that of the AC3 file you will most likely have to re-encode the video and use a lower maximum bitrate as the max of the combined audio and video needs to be no more than 9800kbps. So if the AC3 is 448kbps then the videos max will be 9352kbps.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2169260]When you convert the AC3 or DTS to PCM you will need to keep the bitrate the same, so if the AC3 is 448kbps then your PCM file will have to be, if you use a higher bitrate than that of the AC3 file you will most likely have to re-encode the video and use a lower maximum bitrate as the max of the combined audio and video needs to be no more than 9800kbps. So if the AC3 is 448kbps then the videos max will be 9352kbps.[/QUOTE]
The extreme size issue was mentioned, but if the OP wants a playable DVD, LPCM audio @ 1536Kbps is the only choice.