Absolute Best Audio/Video Player?

Realplayer, Windows Media Player, Nero Showtime, Winamp…

Do they all have the same basic functionality? I know with a plug-in Winamp can play .flac so I’m leaning in that direction.

Audio : foobar2000 v0.9.4.1

Video : Media Player Classic v6.4.9.0

For Audio files, foobar2000 is probably the best (most advanced) player available. It, however, is not as user friendly as something like winamp, and requires more of a learning curve. Many additinal components are avialble to add and enhance features. Customization is almost limitless if you are willing to learn how to script.

Foobar supports the following with main installer package: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA, WMA. Others, such as TTA, APE, and many game sound formats (such as those used on consoles) can be added through additional components.

Check out the foobar2000 forum at www.hydrogenaudio.org - read the stickies, look at the wiki. A good comprehensive manual can be found at http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/index.shtml.

For visial appearance and customization, columnsUI is probably the most important addition, I can’t remember if it comes with the installer or not. It can be found here.

If you have questions about setting up foobar or using some of its tools/features, you can pm me, although I don’t know much about the scripting.

Media Player Classic is an excellent media player. FFDShow is a good solution to use with it (both video and audio filters).

Audio : foobar
Video : MPC, VLC, KMplayer.

Thank you very much!

I’m up for the challenge of learning Foobar2000…it won by a landslide so it must be the best. Just so I can gauge what I’m getting myself into, how far behind is something like Winamp?

I haven’t used Winamp myself, the main reason is because it does not support unicode tags. Winamp may be easier to use, but Foobar can do far more more things. It’s built in mass-tagging script tool can save time and frustration. It can auto-rename files based on tag info (custom configurable using a script like template). It’s built in conversion tool can convert just about anything, though sometimes you need to point it to an external encoder. Just about the only thing it doesn’t do, is video.

Fortunately, the most useful features are the easiest to use, thanks to the wonderful community developement and support. There are also plenty of additional third party components to add and enhance features. Things get a little more tricky when trying to do customizations, such as creating “skins” or visual tweaks. You have to make your own or find premade “scripts” (.fcs files). You can also just change colors of the text and backround as the appear in various states. This is a bit easier, but still requires scripting and the use of numerical color values. Winamp definately holds an edge here, as there are many premade skins available.

I use Foobar2000 and take advantage of it’s many features, but have barely scratched the surface. It does what I need and it does it well, I have never had the need to learn any advanced scripting, although I must admit I keep my layout and appearance very simple.

Just browse the hydrogenaudio.org foobar2000 forums a bit and see some of the ideas people have come up with.

Probably not the best, but here’s what I use:

Audio: QCD
Video: VLC

:slight_smile:

The one that beats them all…J. River Media Center 11.1

Link:

http://www.jrmediacenter.com

This program is outstanding!!! You’ll Love it.

J. River Media Center is payware (athough I admit the question was not restricted to freeware).

The only reason I would move away from foobar2000 as an audio player/converter/tagger would be if I moved to linux. I just like it that much, but “to each their own.”

yeah I know, however, it rules. It has a 30 day trial. So,
it’s not all that bad. Once you use it you will be impresed.