About Memorex DVD+R

My local store is having a sale on Memorex DVD+R. I was wondering are they any good? Anyone have any experience with it and your results? Who is the manufacturer of the Memorex DVD+R? Thx

According to the listing over at dvdrhelp, Memorex has three different id codes for their +R disks.

The 2.4x is RicohJPNR00, which has been fairly good. The 4x is either RichohJPNR01 (which has been very inconsistent) or CMCMagF01, and I personally wouldn’t buy CMC Magnetics disks.

This list may not be complete. But its not impressive for the 4x disks.

Just look at the spindles. Grey base with rounded top edge = Ricoh. Black base with vertical lip on top = CMC.
Either one can be OK depending on the quality of that particular batch.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Just look at the spindles. Grey base with rounded top edge = Ricoh. Black base with vertical lip on top = CMC.
Either one can be OK depending on the quality of that particular batch.

Can you show me pictures of what you mean? I don’t really understand. Btw is it just me or are these discs perfect with the Pioneer 106D? Rdgrimes, on one of your screenshots on the Ricoh DVD+R thread, I saw a scan with VERY low error rates.

Ricoh/Ritek spindle:

CMC spindle:

the ricoh are quite variable in quality, some are great, some are average, and some are crap. Luck of the draw.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Ricoh/Ritek spindle:

CMC spindle:

the ricoh are quite variable in quality, some are great, some are average, and some are crap. Luck of the draw. [/B]

So you mean, I shouldn’t take the risk and get the Memorex? Which brand of media would give consistent good results with the Pioneer 106 drive? I’m thinking of getting Liteon too, but it’s too bad I can’t find one with a black bezel.

It really depends on where you plan to buy them and what your budget is. If you want to buy online, you can specify certain makers from a number of dealers (don’t know about Canadian online shops though). You can buy Ritek G04’s online and they would be a fairly safe bet for inexpensive media.

You can also buy Taiyo Yuden’s and Mitsui’s online in bulk.

If you want to buy from the local shops, you can examine the containers and try to find some that are made in Japan. That is a good rule of thumb. I can’t find many choices in my area that are from Japan though and they are invariably the most expensive.

The other thing to do is try the Memorex disks. If the first one doesn’t work to your satisfaction take them back. Lots of hassle I know, but it might just work ok. You might even identify them with dvdinfopro and give us a report.

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]It really depends on where you plan to buy them and what your budget is. If you want to buy online, you can specify certain makers from a number of dealers (don’t know about Canadian online shops though). You can buy Ritek G04’s online and they would be a fairly safe bet for inexpensive media.

You can also buy Taiyo Yuden’s and Mitsui’s online in bulk.

If you want to buy from the local shops, you can examine the containers and try to find some that are made in Japan. That is a good rule of thumb. I can’t find many choices in my area that are from Japan though and they are invariably the most expensive.

The other thing to do is try the Memorex disks. If the first one doesn’t work to your satisfaction take them back. Lots of hassle I know, but it might just work ok. You might even identify them with dvdinfopro and give us a report.

:slight_smile: [/B]

Do you know any places in the US or Canada that have good prices on TY DVD+R medias or “good” medias?

I went looking for an online site selling TY +R disks a week or two ago and finally found one. I don’t know if you’ll think the prices are reasonable and the minimum purchase is 50 disks.
Here is the link:
http://www.issidvds.com/index.html

It is in the US and that will complicate shipping for you.

The Riteks can be found at many different online sites—Rima, allmediaoutlet, Hyper Micro Systems, etc.

that site seems to have very high prices. nearly double what the same media goes for on other sites.

Troy
If you can find another site in the US that has Taiyo Yuden +R 4x dvd’s for less, I would be glad to know of it.

Kerry

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]According to the listing over at dvdrhelp, Memorex has three different id codes for their +R disks.

The 2.4x is RicohJPNR00, which has been fairly good. The 4x is either RichohJPNR01 (which has been very inconsistent) or CMCMagF01, and I personally wouldn’t buy CMC Magnetics disks.

This list may not be complete. But its not impressive for the 4x disks. [/B]

How is it you see the Results of the RicohJPNR01 as inconsistent?

I have burned the last spindle all at 4x without issue. The comments are all positive on dvdrhelp as well…

I’ve tried them with very poor results. Might have been a bad batch, but they were TDK"s—not cheap no-names.

Look at the dvd media tests at the top of the forum and look at the results for the JPNR01 disks. You’ll see they are all over the spectrum, even on the relatively small number of tests that are here.

Look at the Ricoh +R listing and you’ll see a lot of good to very good results on the first page, then on the second, you’ll see some truly bad burns. This doesn’t inspire confidence in this particular type of media.

Mine have all been memorex - not that it should matter

I have the same brand that your looking at and it is indeed RicohJPNR01… My first burn proved that these are crappy DVD+R’s! Half-way through the disc the movie backup I made failed…

Using DVD Identifier, this is the info I got on the Lite-On 811S drive and the Memorex 4x DVD+R sold at Staples…

[22:57:42] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification…
[22:57:42] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
[22:57:42] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
[22:57:42] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
[22:57:42] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
[22:57:42] ADIP Read Method 2 Completed Without Errors
[22:57:42] Disc Identification Completed Successfully

Should I be worried about the ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported? And the ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [002]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

So happens that the included DVD+R that came with the Lite-On 811S is also of the same brand… Funny how Lite-On claims 8x with certain 4x DVD+R media and they include media that is not able to burn at 8x… What a joke… The incuded DVD+RW burns flawlessly at 4x…

Im thinking of taking the DVD+R’s back unless someone knows of better media that the 811S can burn 8x to and that I can buy for $ 1 - $ 1.50 per media…

Well - I guess this begs the question what is the “flavor of the month” with respect to 4x + media?

CMC seems to be more widely regarded as crap.

These Richoh’s “01” seem to give some people fits.

I am always interested - especially since I have 50 that I could return to Staples to wait for some better deal!

CMC DVD+R, actually, though not great stuff, has been pretty consistant here. Burned at 2.4x it’s reasonably reliable. I don’t see much difference between it and the Ricoh over-all, though the Ricoh is quite good if you’re lucky enough to get a good batch. My feeling is that the CMC is more consistant than Ricoh.
If your drive likes MCC DVD+R, that’s the best way to go until TY is more widely available.

@rdgrimes

Thanks for the info…

Saving me a trip to dvdrhelp, what brandnames have been using MCC ?

MCC is only available as Verbatim DataLifePlus. But, unfortunately, not all DLP is MCC, only that which is made in Singapore.

Thanks again for the info.

Reminds me of always making sure the Fuji (and even some TDK) was made in Japan to assure they were Taiyo Yuden :cool: