About dvd-r DL and layer break

Having to find a way to waste about 12 euros, :clap: decided to buy a couple Verbatim -r dual layer. Burnt one of my favorite movie of the season, “war of the worlds”. Not too long or high-bitrated indeed, but concerned about a good audio resolution, I decided to mantain DTS stream beside everything else. Having heard about layer transition issues with this kind of new media, I followed carefully the middle part of the burning process: In file mode, Nero7 premium switched from layer 1 to 2 towards the second half of vts2_3.vob. Playing thus the vob apart, I had a rough idea of where would have layer break been positioned…I Watch the initial scene of the 2_3.vob, which is about 14’36’’ long; time position in the movie is from 0:34:50 to 0:49:26, so it’s easy enough to find the corresponding time. Middle scenes and all the vob 14’ play almost flawlessly, so where’s the matter? I go ahead playing and, at about the very half of the movie, i.e. 1:02:40, it starts freezing, making a strange noise that announced nothing good…
I try to locate some scene after that point, no way, practically all the movie after 1:02’ is unplayable. Even if reading some posts I was warned of this, in the end I can say that somehow accounts don’t balance: how can one locate layer break, according in particular to hisburnt dvd±r DL? Meanwhile, my only advice is not to buy any -r DL media… :disagree:
Writer:
Liteon 1693 KS0B - Movie ripped with Dvddecrypter file-mode, burnt with Nero7 Premium @2x
Players:
JVC XV-N5 : no disc (disc not recognized)
Philips DV720SA : plays only the 1st layer
LG DR4800 (Dvd recorder) plays almost flawlessly

Firstly I wouldn’t burn DVD±R DL with Nero because I think it still has issues with setting the layer break correct. Either rip to .iso with DVD decrypter and burn with DVD decrypter or if you want to remove some FBI warnings etc. rip in file mode and remove the things you want to remove with PGCEdit and use this method.

Then I wouldn’t use DVD-R DL but DVD+R DL with the book type set to DVD-ROM (preferably Verbatim). DVD-R DL has the same book type as DVD-R SL and it seems to give some problems. Also when burning in standard DAO mode it seems like the first layer of a DVD-R DL needs to be filled completely unlike a DVD+R DL.

IfoEdit can indicate where the layer break is on a DL disc (if it’s correct). It should look something like this.

Thanxalot Jsl, :smiley:
I guess your links’ll be useful for the future. As concerns ifoedit, I still don’t understand if it marks the VOB file on which layer break is positioned. On the other hand, of course I also got DL non-coasters burnings, as I was aware of booktyping +r DL media as dvd-rom: this way I’ve written a pair of movies>6Gb that play on almost every recorder. So, for now I returned the blank -r DL to my dealer, waiting for the new stock of +r DL to hit the store. For the future, except for data, I don’t think -r DL could be a good choice to burn more than 4Gb…but still I don’t know if 6 eu were worth the experiment :confused:
Cheers ev’1
Alec