Abit AA8XE

I am dying for some help here i have read all i can on the abit site and looked for some time now and would like to know if either Core 2 Quad Q6600 or the Core 2 Quad Q9550 would work with my MOBO any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

It is definitly NOT possible to run a Q9550 or any other 45nm cpu on that MB. There is a good chance that the Q6600 will work, you MUST update the BIOS prior to installing the new CPU! You can get it HERE

Ok after some looking around i am even more confused and i can’t spend $200 on a chance, so is there any way of Knowing for sure cause i can’t seem to contact Abit?

As far as I can tell it doesn’t support any Core 2 CPUs at all (due to the chipset)…
//Danne

let me first say thank you for the response. but as i get that answer how can i be sure? and i read about the chipset and there isn’t a yes or a no in there

You would be far better off buying a $100 P45 MB and the Q9550 which sells for less than $200.

more than likely i will do just that but where is that chip less that $200 cause i see on newegg.com it is listed for $220?

If you want quad core I’d reconsider AMD Phenom II X4 905e due to its very low TDP.

//Danne

This is an in-store only deal for microcenter, Q9550 for $170! I was tempted to get it but what I have right now is very fast and when a new stepping comes out I will be able to use intel’s core i3 on my P45 board, its based on the current achitecture but with a new stepping should be pretty cool, or maybe I’ll just go core i5.

If you don’t mind going AMD, there is a good combo deal cpu+MB.
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb and ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX for $270. This MB already has video on it so there is no need for a video card, unless you intend to play modern games on it.

You would also need some DDR3 RAM, Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

But 125W TDP isn’t going to be fun… :confused:
//Danne