AACS to support forced down-converting on analog outputs

I just posted the article AACS to support forced down-converting on analog outputs.

It’s now clear that AACS, the copy protection system both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD are going to use, will support a function called ICT (Image Constraint Token). This is bad news if you…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11408-AACS-to-support-forced-down-converting-on-analog-outputs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11408-AACS-to-support-forced-down-converting-on-analog-outputs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Seems a bit pointless, seeing as HDCP has already been broken - that will obviously be the first vector for extracting blu-ray content!

Man they have totally screwed up this next gen medium all for the sake of Hollywood. I think the reason Fox is “against it” is because they know how few HDMI sets there are. Rest assured They will support down conversion in the future. They can jerk the rug out from under us later when most sets sold will have HDMI and the customer base has coughed up the dough to buy one. This is all geared for the long term. Most large corporations use 10 year business plans. They don’t look just a few years ahead. What they say today is of little importance.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 20.01.2006 14:42]

It is amazing how hard companies will work to make sure the public is confused by and hesitant to embrace a new technology.

Anyone remember the RFU switch? You know when games decided to use the rca connectors and everyone was forced to use an adapter to get nintendo running on there older tv? This is the same thing with hdmi being the standard
[edited by psychoace on 20.01.2006 16:47]

Dumbasses. If they are going to do that, you might as well just buy an upscanning dvd player and it will look better than blue-ray.

Argggggggggggggg!!!

I serously doubt we will see ANY movies come from the studios for a long time that exceed 960x540p, so in essence this is a non-issue. 960x540p is much better than anything we currently see. For the near term, most of what they release will be re-hashed 480i content, upsampled to HD, and it won’t look much different than it does now. New releases may get mastered in true HD, but don’t bet your wallet that they will look any better than 960x540p. The real benefit of the DVI/HDMI inputs is the better contrast and color, which again isn’t usually very noticable in comparison to component inputs. Frankly, I’m surprised thay aren’t limiting it to SVHS or even composite outputs at 480i

I wonder how long it will be before retailers have to put a manual at the display counter just so the average consumer can figure out if a disc will even work properly on their system. I can just imagine a device where you have to enter your player model, video monitor model, satellite box model, etc in order to purchase a $29.00 movie. Yeah…the public is going to just jump at the chance to acquire new technologies in that environment *laughs!

Movie studios have been preparing with HD transfers for a long time now so on the contrary, you can pretty much expect all BD and HD DVD movies by the major studios to be in 1080p. That the releases will be in 1080p have been confirmed by several “insiders” too. It was also mentioned in some of the CES press releases and many of the boxes displayed at CES even had a “1080p - Beyond High Definition” tag line or similar on them.

“HD transfers” This is not the same thing as HD masters, not by a long shot. Sorry, I’ve been disappointed far too many times by crappy video quality to believe that anything will change just because they are able to extract more $ from our pockets. Nobody is going to re-master any of the current releases, just upsample the same old crappy video.

Crippled HD: 960x540p PAL DVD (movie): 720x576p Looks like there might be a few situations where standard DVD actually looks better.

Don’t be fooled by theoretical resolutions. GIGO. A high bitrate 480i looks better than a lot of the higher res stuff I’ve seen. Resolution is 1/2 the picture, bitrate is the other. Trust me, if there’s a buck to be saved, the studios will release the lowest quality stuff they can get by with. Releasing it in 1080 format does not make it look better.

well I guess on a side note, any computer generated movies will HOPEFULLY be able to be rendered in hi-res and not be downsampled to good old 480i. I would love to see Final Fantasy in it’s true hi res format :smiley:

I know all of the launch titles in the US for HD-DVD and BD (those studios that are supporting both) with be progressive encoded as they are starting with 1080p24 masters. Quote from a person who is actually working with the encoding…

Sony Pictures is one studio that’s been doing full HD transfers for years now. They created the Sony HD Center specifically to transfer their ENTIRE library to HD. Those are the masters they’ve used for DVD production since day 1.