AACS decryption chip... on a PCIe card

Is there some reason why a standard BDXL drive cannot rip an encrypted UHD BD image, and then that image later be decrypted using some bespoke software (that doesn’t currently exist) which uses an AACS chip on a PCIe card (that also doesn’t currently exist)?

I’m sure that distribution of the AACS chips is tightly controlled, but chips can always be taken from broken drives. I’m only curious. I’m not intending to start this is a project. I might buy a card though if they were available.

Drives don’t allow users to access special parts of the discs with sensitive data. The drive can read the data. It just doesn’t allow users to do it. MakeMKV has added a new feature (LibreDrive) that works around this restriction. It’s only used for disc ripping but I suppose that, if it’s properly open-sourced (I’m guessing this won’t happen, at least for now), it could be used by others who wish to do similar things with their non-UHD discs.

XL and UHD never was the same and they come from different times!!

Where are you getting an aacs chip?

For example, did you de-solder one from an old (or dead) standalone bluray player?

Also, there’s no such thing as “AACS chips.” AACS is implemented in software, with perhaps the exception of perhaps hardware that uses private keys burned into a chip in the factory. Even then, the software just feeds cryptographic instructions into the chip and gets a value in return. You’d have to do some pretty clever reverse engineering if you were going to take a chip, place it on a PCIe card, get the chip to work, and trick the chip into doing what you want it to do.

Maybe he’s referring to the “crypto IC” noticed on the block diagrams of UHD-capable drives, e.g.

Of course, it would have to be programmed…