I’ve been browsing through the Sony documents that Wikileaks has published. They contain a LOT of interesting information on AACS 2.0 and Ultra HD Blu-ray.
I’m hoping some of you want to join me in discovering in what’s in the documents and what’s interesting?
I’m not really a specialist on this subject, so help is much appreciated. Some documents to start with:
- AACS 2.0 is under development and will be used for Ultra HD Blu-ray
- AACS 2.0 has a basic and enhanced mode. In basic no internet connection is required, for enhanced there is
- AACS 2.0 uses AES encryption
- AACS 2.0 requires use of HDCP 2.2 for 4K (Ultra HD) content
- When internet connection is required, it appears only for first playback
- Ultra HD Blu-ray players seem to have a “Digital Bridge” feature
- The Digital Bridge allows exporting a SFF (standard file format, based on ISO)
- You can stream to other devices (like tablets and smartphones) from the Digital Bridge
- Digital Bridge can be used to purchase extra content from the internet
- There will be a Managed Copy and Bound Copy feature
- AACS has a forensic lab that monitors IRC and bulletin boards where the hacker community comes together
- There is talk about a server that needs to be contacted before an export/copy can be made, indicating an user has to pay a fee in order to do (or when more copies/exports are wanted)
Want to help? Post your findings below, you can find the docs here: