A7v333 problem

vbimport

i have just tried to flash the bios but it has gone horribly wrong. it now won't even boot and im wondering if there is a way of bringing it back to life.

That happened to me once… my pc crashed while I was upgrading my bios. It crashed while the update-util was just deleting my flashrom… After that my pc was completely dead!

I did the following: I removed my bios flashrom, downloaded a bin file for my bios at school, went to a special electronics shop where they have a standalone flashrom programmer and they reprogrammed my bios with the bin file…

After that I was back in business!!!

Good luck to you!!!

:slight_smile:

thanks but is there an easier way as i have limited means.

The only other documented way to do this is very risky but has been done susccessfully, and requires another computer with a similar, BIOS chip compatible motherboard.

It involves removing the BIOS chip from the dead computer, firing up the other computer (minumum parts required: working motherboard with working BIOS chip, memory, video card, diskette drive with bootable diskette and BIOS flasher and file), getting into DOS from the diskette then replace the good BIOS chip from that MOBO with the dead one then flash. Yes, you do that while the computer is actually running!!!

I read this from someone who’s actually done it and reported it worked fine. I’d say it’s risky because doing so while the MOBO and BIOS chip is powered on could possibly fry it.

Does that answer your question?! Probably not easier but I thought you’d like to know what your other options are! :bigsmile:

I’ve done this “upgrade” succesfully on two A7V motherboards (old verions), i suggest stripping the computer , setting the motherboard to work with only a vga card , keyboard , as little memory and a floppy disk drive on it.

Remove the working chip of the working motherboard and put it in the not-working motherboard. Power up the not-working motherboard.

After its completely booted (use a bootable floppy with the correct flash tool and bios on it) remove the working chip of it.

Use a special chip remover , do NOT use your fingernails or some other metal clip ! Remove the chip in one swift move so that all contacts are simultanously disconnected.

Then with that same swift move insert the bad chip in the still completely booted motherboard and start flashing.

The trick to this is that the bios ic is only used to put it’s bios into ram (the ic is rom) and after booting up it doesn’t need it until it’s next boot.

The trick to this is that the bios ic is only used to put it’s bios into ram (the ic is rom) and after booting up it doesn’t need it until it’s next boot.

ye thats right but i also know that the easier way to do this is :

1.start the pc with a working bios chip.

2.when it starts GO INTO THE BIOS.(and do not leave it until you have finished)

1. remove the chip you booted up with then put the one you stuffed up back in (do as mr belvedere said real quick and while pc is ON).

2. all you need do now is change the bios settings to what they were before then click save and exit.(it will write your bios back into the chip)

now you can try flash it again;)

Originally posted by slayerking
[B]

ye thats right but i also know that the easier way to do this is :

1.start the pc with a working bios chip.

2.when it starts GO INTO THE BIOS.(and do not leave it until you have finished)

1. remove the chip you booted up with then put the one you stuffed up back in (do as mr belvedere said real quick and while pc is ON).

2. all you need do now is change the bios settings to what they were before then click save and exit.(it will write your bios back into the chip)

now you can try flash it again;) [/B]

Now this is genius ! Why didn’t i think of that ? (I had already posted half that “trick”)

This saves a lot of time and is way faster than flashing a bios , since you don’t need to install a disk (or floppy disk) at all now !

Excellent job Slayerking

Nice trick from slayerking! I have read about the trick from Mr Belvedere, but I did not want to take the risk to fry my mobo, so I just paid 10 euro to get it reflashed by the electronics store.

:slight_smile:

nice trick but i don’t have two similar boards so i sent back and said it was faulty

Originally posted by hburrows83
nice trick but i don’t have two similar boards so i sent back and said it was faulty

Knowing AsusTek they’ll recognize this and charge you.
But maybe you are lucky that the engineer working on it is a bit lazy :slight_smile:

thank you for your compliments:o ive gone all shy now;)

i think that once the motherboard has accessed the bios chip and loaded the bios the only power going to it is from the battery so i dont think you would fry your mobo. it is still wise to be careful when doing this trick though.

this board is bloody amazing (well only used it for a couple of hours but…) i recommend it to anyone. its very fast, with loads of features and rock stable.
also for overclocking perpurses u can change the fsb by 1mhz at a time. got mine up to 177 with a slight voltage change and it was (was) rock stable.

yea asus rocks i use the a7a266-e with an athlon xp1900+ and 512 mb ddr ram it is fast as