A112 firmware for 4120

vbimport

Does anyone know if this is released yet (on lg website)? I see a link in Kenshins page, is this the official firmware?

Yes, it’s official firmware.

However, I prefer A111, and have reverted to this for the past few weeks.

I could find A112 only from a non-LG source so using the A112 firmware voids the warranty. Technically, it should be safe to use.

Are you sure? I thought A112 was official - though I cannot remember where I downloaded it (perhaps USA or Germany?).

Can you check your A112 file’s property? The one I have is clearly a Japanese release.

I have found the download for A112 - it was from Germany :

http://www.de.nec.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557

You’ve found an LG firmware on the NEC site??? :eek:

It does look like the NEC Germany firmware page.

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Apologies - someone else asked about the firmware for my NEC 3500.

I’ll try (again) to see where I got the A112 firmware.

:o :o :o :o

I found where I got my A112 firmware.

It was from your site!! :o

I don’t remember where. I think it originally came from a Japanese page for Sony Viao.
Something like that.

Sony VAIO site that listed a firmware for an LG-made (or Hitachi-made) GSA-4120B. I got the firmware there as well. Since it was meant for Sony’s domestic market release, it’s only in Japanese.

I am just wondering if it is time to ditch this drive and get a BenQ 1620. Seems that there is prolly not going to be anymore real firmware revisions, and with their 16x drives out, like most companies, they are prolly going to ditch the older hardware. I guess it is time to exchange my “broken” drive for a 1620 haha so I can get a better drive with better write strategies in the firmware. Gotta love extended warranties

I’d like to get a GSA-4163B for my DW1620. LG’s not only better in performance and quality but also better in after-sales service.

Yes their after sales service is great, check this out it’s worth a laugh!

@hotmail.com Printed: 03 January 2005 09:35:51

Sent : 12 July 2004 14:43:47
To : Eliot <@hotmail.com>
Subject : LG Customer Enquiry -[Eliot Powell]

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry ------------
Thank you for your e-mail It sounds like the writing software dosent reconise the drive being a 8 spped writer i would advise to update your software from theire website

-----------Customer Details ------------
Name : Eliot
Street :
City :
State :
Post Code :
Tel :
E-mail : @hotmail.com

-----------Original Customer Enquiry ------------
Received Date : 11/07/2004 11:21:16
The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates
Product/Model No. : DVD-ROM/GSA-4120B

Hi I bought this drive firmware is A101. The drive will write at 8x to FUJI DVD-R, but it will not write at 8x (4x only) to Ri-disc (Ritek G05). Is / when will a firmware be availably to correct this? Should I use A102 (on the internet)? However using A102 did not correct the problem. Thanks Eliot Powell

Click here if you have more question

And the 2nd email:-

@hotmail.com Printed: 03 January 2005 09:40:00

Sent : 14 July 2004 14:54:29
To : Eliot <@hotmail.com>
Subject : LG Customer Enquiry -[Eliot ]

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry ------------
Thank you for your email. May we ask what format discs you are attempting to write to, so that we can answer your query correctly. Yours sincerely LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

-----------Customer Details ------------
Name : Eliot
Street :
City :
State :
Post Code :
Tel :
E-mail : @hotmail.com

-----------Original Customer Enquiry ------------
Received Date : 12/07/2004 19:01:49
The type of inquiry : Product Operation
Product/Model No. : DVD-ROM/GSA-4120

I have a GSA-4120, it WILL write to FUJI 8x media at 8x. It will not write to Ritek G05 (8x) at 8x. (THIS MEANS IT IS NOT MY SOFTWARE). I would like to ask the same question again, please read it this time, WHEN WILL A NEW FIRMWARE BE OUT TO SUPPORT THIS MEDIA. Thanks Eliot -----------Reply to Customer Enquiry ------------ Thank you for your e-mail It sounds like the writing software dosent reconise the drive being a 8 spped writer i would advise to update your software from theire website -----------Customer Details ------------ Name : Eliot Street : City : State : Post Code : Tel : Country : United Kingdom E-mail : @hotmail.com -----------Original Customer Enquiry ------------ Received Date : 11/07/2004 11:21:16 The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates Product/Model No. : DVD-ROM/GSA-4120B Hi I bought this drive firmware is A101. The drive will write at 8x to FUJI DVD-R, but it will not write at 8x (4x only) to Ri-disc (Ritek G05). Is / when will a firmware be availably to correct this? Should I use A102 (on the internet)? However using A102 did not correct the problem. Thanks Eliot

Click here if you have more question

And the 3rd email :-

Reply-To : “UK Help Desk” <ukhelpdesk@lge.com>
Sent : 20 July 2004 18:48:51
To : @hotmail.com
Subject : Re : Enquiry from website

| | | LG | Inbox

Great Company Great People

Thank you for your email.

Firmware update for this drive is available from our US website at
www.us.lge.com

LG Electronics Helpdesk
Tel: 0870 6075544 press 1
Fax: 01753 517445
E-mail: ukhelpdesk@lge.com

---------- Original Message ----------

Sender : @hotmail.com
Recipient : LGEUK UK Help Desk ENGINEER(ukhelpdesk@lge.com, 44-870-607-5544)
Date : 2004/07/12 02:41:27 PM
Subject : Enquiry from website

Enquiry Type: Technical services
I have bought a GSA-4120. It won’t burn my Ritek G05 discs at 8X, only 4x.
When will
you be releasing an updated firmware? Mine is A101.

And several emails later:-

Great Company Great People

Thank you for your email.

There may be a compatibility issue with the RiDisc 8x DVD-R G05 media. Since
you are
able to write to other disc media, this points to the disc media rather than
the drive.

LG Electronics Helpdesk
Tel: 0870 6075544 press 1
Fax: 01753 517445
E-mail: ukhelpdesk@lge.com

---------- Original Message ----------

Sender : "Eliot " <@hotmail.com>
Recipient : LGEUK UK Help Desk ENGINEER(ukhelpdesk@lge.com, 44-870-607-5544)
Date : 2004/07/21 02:24:47 PM
Subject : RE: Re : RE: LG Customer Enquiry -[Eliot ]

Using the latest firmware A102 does not solve the problem.

Should I return the drive?

Eliot

I was eventually given a number to ring where some one knew less about the hardware than I did. The guy did not know what a firmware was, again said I needed to get the latest burning software. I gave up at this point after several weeks of trying.

Eventually I got the impression that they simply couldn’t be bothered to support them properly. I told them about the excellent burns I had produced on them with the various NEC drives I have had, they couldn’t care less. Yet they still write “Great Company Great People” on every email to me!

@Kenshin - Do you still stand by what you said? I Think that instead of making blanket comments which could mislead people all over the globe, you should stick to writing that in your experience they have good after sales service.

Instead you write in all the forums how great LG are. You do not speak for me, and I do not beleive you speak for many others either.

What is your connection with LG?

My LG 4120 (A111 firmware) writes Ritek G05 media at 4x only. It does not bother me unduly, as it’s not great media and my NEC 3500 can burn it at 12x.

However, it does burn some 8x dvd+r media at 12x - RICOHJPN02 and YUDEN000T02.