A1/A4 crossflash and +R problem

vbimport

This is to describe my experience with a Lite-On LH-18A1H (November 2006) retail drive and the available crossflash path to the newer A4-series firmwares. I have noticed over the past few months, with several A4 firmwares as they became available, that the drive will behave erratically when crossflashed. On occasion, the drive will not (or only difficultly) recognize booktyped DVD+R discs it has just burned and if it does recognize them, Disc Quality scans in Nero CDSpeed/DiscSpeed will be completely off the wall. I have tried to document my most recent experience with the following screenshots (the 18A1H is crossflashed to a 20A4P with 9P53 firmware).

This is how a new Create Disc test DVD is seen directly after burning and an eject/reload. Other drives connected to my PC will initialize the disc correctly however.

After a reboot of the PC, the same disc is recognized correctly, which allows me to run a relevant Disc Quality scan.

Are you using the “A” or “S” firmware?

Attempting to run another scan, I can not get the disc recognized correctly anymore, even after several eject/reloads, restarts of CDSpeed/DiscSpeed or reboots of the PC. I get either the DVD-ROM identification as shown in post #2 or a DVD+RW booktyped as DVD-ROM identification as shown below.

[QUOTE=Bob;2008953]Are you using the “A” or “S” firmware?[/QUOTE]

Strictly “A”. Let me finish the story first, please :wink:

When recognized as DVD+RW, I can not run a quality scan or TRT. Respective error messages attached.

When recognized as DVD-ROM, I could run a scan, but the result is totally unreliable. There was an error before the Jitter measurement should start as well (although I do remember having crazy scans [I]with[/I] Jitter on other occasions, but Jitter was abnormally high in that case - like 14-15% average).

So far for this example. Now I’m sure many will think there’s a problem with my particular drive or my setup. However:

1. This has happened for me in both Windows XP and Linux+Wine (same disc after booting into XP below). As mentioned already, it has happened several times with various A4 firmware versions.

2. I have seen reports of the same or similar issues here at CDF and on a another (German) forum. I’ll dig up two links and edit in a moment.

Edit:
Link #1 Posts #387 and up by headquarter84
Link #2 Posts #15 and up by Morpheus

Conclusion: my A1 will remain an A1.

Thanks for your patience, Bob :flower:

[QUOTE=Cressida;2008969]So far for this example. Now I’m sure many will think there’s a problem with my particular drive or my setup. However:

1. This has happened for me in both Windows XP and Linux+Wine (same disc after booting into XP below). As mentioned already, it has happened several times with various A4 firmware versions.

2. I have seen reports of the same or similar issues here at CDF and on a another (German) forum. I’ll dig up two links and edit in a moment.

Edit:
Link #1 Posts #387 and up by headquarter84
Link #2 Posts #15 and up by Morpheus

Conclusion: my A1 will remain an A1.

Thanks for your patience, Bob :flower:[/QUOTE]No problem and sorry i interrupted you :flower:

I had discovered this long before OCFreak or Bichi. Mentioned this to CK and got blown off by everyone but Albert.

So i ordered a real 20A4P on Nov 6,2007 and never crossflashed my 20A1P for this very reason.

Sorry you have never read any of my posts on this matter. What a mess.

[QUOTE=Bob;2009017]No problem and sorry i interrupted you :flower:

I had discovered this long before OCFreak or Bichi. Mentioned this to CK and got blown off by everyone but Albert.

So i ordered a real 20A4P on Nov 6,2007 and never crossflashed my 20A1P for this very reason.

Sorry you have never read any of my posts on this matter. What a mess.[/QUOTE]

Well that’s another confirmation. Sorry I seem to have missed yours and others previous accounts of this problem. Thanks for pointing that out. It is my feeling however that there are two kinds of A1 drives out there, good and bad :bigsmile:. I tried 3 of them because I kept seeing these pristine results here with drives even older than mine, but I could never duplicate them unfortunately. So I can also accept that other people’s A1’s will not have this issue with the crossflash, but I must believe that there’s a large number of them that will not be happy with it. Hence my reason for making this thread.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2009051]Well that’s another confirmation. Sorry I seem to have missed yours and others previous accounts of this problem. Thanks for pointing that out. It is my feeling however that there are two kinds of A1 drives out there, good and bad :bigsmile:. I tried 3 of them because I kept seeing these pristine results here with drives even older than mine, but I could never duplicate them unfortunately. So I can also accept that other people’s A1’s will not have this issue with the crossflash, but I must believe that there’s a large number of them that will not be happy with it. Hence my reason for making this thread.[/QUOTE]yeah i have noticed that there are differences within the 20A1P’s and 20A4P’s. And eachother. So crossflashing is really some what of an experienced user with and within these models.

My 20A4P came with NP53 and works best with “A” f/w. I loaded my original f/w in frhed and no sign of LD in it. Average users not knowing will have problems with crossflashing these drives for sure. Especially if they did not save their original Eeprom and the original firmware! What a mess.

Oddly, my 20A1P works better with A4P firmware. And S [not A] firmware at that [Yep, Bob diagnosed it properly. ;)]. Go figure…just hope my drive doesn’t suddenly develop this syndrome. :eek:

Thanks, Cressida and Bob. :slight_smile:

Well, I could never get my head around the fact that Albert’s A1 drive prefers “S” when “S” is for the new Sharp LD (which can’t be in an A1). But who are we to think that A1 would even have the same Mitsubishi LD as A4 and therefor require “A”? Maybe it’s a different LD yet and therefor a viable proposition to try out both “A” and “S”?

So, we go with QP57S and throw in a well used +RW to break things in a bit. Full erase and Create Disc go over well and even the scan looks OK.

Next, we burn a DVD+R with booktyping.

Eject/reload and check Disc Info.

Run a DQ scan.

Eject/reload to run another test and check Disc Info.

No scanning possible, not even after restarting CDSpeed nor rebooting PC.

Same disc in XP. Now I’m getting paranoid and starting to fear it’ll happen with A1 firmware too… :bigsmile: