A1/A4 and crossflash comparison

vbimport

As I recently got a DH20A4P (September 2007, 9P53), I wanted to make a direct comparison with my LH-18A1H (November 2006, HL05), running as an LH-20A1H, LL0C and also crossflashed as another DH20A4P, 9P53. The media used is 3 consecutive TY T03 discs from a TDK spindle. In the posts below, the order of the graphs is as follows:

1. A1 drive with A1 firmware LL0C
  2. A1 drive with A4 firmware 9P53
  3. A4 drive with A4 firmware 9P53
    On the A1 drive the EEPROM was restored before the test and OPC was cleared before each burn. The A4 drive is brandnew, first burn with this media. SmartBurn settings were not used, no booktyping either. Both drives are on USB (ALi and Cypress resp.) and 16X burn speed was selected.

Create Disc graphs

4X scans in the burning drive

8X scans in the burning drive

“Neutral” scans in a third Lite-On drive

“Second opinion” in a BenQ drive

A couple of observations:

• much lower jitter reported by the new drive (A4/A4) compared to the old (A1/A1 and A1/A4)

• no excessive PIE/PIF reporting at the beginning of the disc in an 8X scan by the new drive (A4/A4)

• erratic scan results of the crossflashed drive (A1/A4)

• “Neutral” scan results in the 3rd Lite-On drive are very similar for all 3 burns (both PIE/PIF and Jitter)

• BenQ scans are disturbed by high and fluctuating jitter at the start of the discs, leading to high error levels and to corresponding peaks - this has been reported before on the Forum (MacClipper and OC-Freak), always with TY T03 (none of the Lite-On scans show elevated jitter in this area)

[quote=Cressida;2001464]- BenQ scans are disturbed by high and fluctuating jitter at the start of the discs, leading to high error levels and to corresponding peaks - this has been reported before on the Forum (MacClipper and OC-Freak), always with TY T03 (none of the Lite-On scans show elevated jitter in this area)[/quote] I see the same thing with my LiteOn LH-20A1P for 16x burns and above scanned in a BenQ DW1655 and not only YUDEN000 T03 - I’ve also seen it on TDK 003 (to a lesser degree) and I think I also saw it on MCC 004 but I n longer have any scans of MCC 004 at faster than 12x in this drive (I don’t burn faste than 12x for this very reason).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2001476]I see the same thing with my LiteOn LH-20A1P for 16x burns and above scanned in a BenQ DW1655 and not only YUDEN000 T03 - I’ve also seen it on TDK 003 (to a lesser degree) and I think I also saw it on MCC 004 but I n longer have any scans of MCC 004 at faster than 12x in this drive (I don’t burn faste than 12x for this very reason).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding your experience. I was a bit surprised to which extent it’s still there with the new A4 drive, which appears to operate a bit cleaner at the start of the disc than my A1 drive. If anything, this effect seems to be less noticeable on the old A1 drive with LL0C. When I did another test about a month ago (same media, same burner and scanner), I couldn’t even see it.

Cressida, why don’t you use the 9P57 version available on this site? Are you sure your 9P53 version works nicely with your A1 drive? As there are different LD firmwares out there, it’s better to use the correct LD firmware for the drive.

i’ve completely lost the overview since the LD discussion started :confused:

my 18A1H needs the A version, right? so will the 9P59 flasher choose the right version (A) for my 18A1H?

It chooses whatever version is already on your drive. If you have 9P57A, you get 9P59A. Same for S to S. :wink:

[QUOTE=Skylon;2001605]CressidPa, why don’t you use the 9P57 version available on this site? Are you sure your 9P53 version works nicely with your A1 drive? As there are different LD firmwares out there, it’s better to use the correct LD firmware for the drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Skylon, but I wanted to use “similar generation” firmwares for the comparison (LL0C is June’07 and 9P53 is August’07). My main reason for doing this test is to see whether the newer build/smoother operating drive would translate in improved burns/scans, not really to compare firmwares :).

Being a September build I didn’t expect the 20A4P to have the new laser and indeed, there isn’t any “LD:SHARP” string in the 9P53.bin file. If I feel like it, I’ll still repeat the comparison with another MID, as one test doesn’t say much.

Second comparison with Panasonic TYG03. This time the crossflash was worthwhile, still the newer A4 is clearly the better of the two drives. 8X scanning doesn’t go in the red anymore with the A4, but still isn’t completely consistent with 4X unfortunately. Starting off with the burn graphs, BenQ scans to follow later. Image order as before (A1, A1toA4, A4).

4X scans

8X scans

3rd Lite-On scans

BenQ scans

Third set of comparison scans, this time with Memorex branded CMC MAG. AE1. I was gonna go with All Off in SmartBurn again but the A1 drive burned me two consecutive coasters (one with LLV3 and another with LL0C), so “All On” it is. There’s really not much in it between the two drives and firmwares, other than the better 8x scanning behaviour of the A4 drive and the higher jitter values reported with LL0C. Also the noise… lots of resonance with the A1 drive (both firmwares) during most of this 8X burn.

Starting off with Create Disc graphs again (in order A1, A1toA4, A4):

4X scans