I am on my second A09 at this point, the first being a very early unit shipping with 1.00 FW, and the current one being a Jan 05 build that came with 1.09 FW.
They both exhibit the exact same qualities - the first one updated to 1.09 was "OK" (thought I may have possibly had a "bad" one).
Along with the spotty burns and compatibility issues being reported, I can add another one, which I touched on in another thread, but it involves the IDE interface. Something about it is "off".
The biggest syptom is very erratic read curves if you do ANYTHING that involves any other IDE devices while reading. I have tried 3 Liteon DVD Roms, 1 BenQ 1620, and one NEC 3520, and none of them are affected even a bit by simultaneous use of the IDE bus / hard drives while reading.
But, I took out A09 #2 and installed it in my 1394 Prolific external enclosure, and voila, erratic fluctuating read problem solved. It reads perfectly smooth even if I am running defrag on drive C, just like the other drives do while connected via IDE.
BTW, the pioneer exhibits this even if set to UDMA mode 2 in the bios, when connected internaly via IDE.
Some have commented that this is "normal", but not in my experience, and not with the 5 other drives listed above I have on hand.
I think it may also affect the writing in the same way the reading is being affected - some have commented on wild fluctuations in buffer level.
I am curious if anyone can run a CDspeed xfer test, and do some tasks that involve HDD access during the read, and check the curve.
FWIW, I have tried master /slave primary / secondary etc.., and yes its using DMA...
Using an Intel 875P Asus p4c800-E deluxe MB, pioneer always tried on the intel controllers.