A07 and Booktype Question

Hi there,
I’ve been perusing the forums, but haven’t found the answer to this question. If the Pioneer A07 won’t support bitsetting, can Nero’s software override that?

Background: I’ve been making DVD backups using DVD Decrypter, Shrink and Nero 6.3. I had read that changing the booktype to DVD-ROM will help with old DVD set-top players. I ripped my Dangerous Minds DVD, which didn’t need shrinking, so was able to go directly into Nero to burn the DVD-R. While in the advanced options of Nero, you can choose the Booktype setting for DVD-ROM, which I did. The DVD-R would work in my newer Panasonic player but not my old Proscan.

I’m really new at this - bitsetting and booktype are the same thing, right? Or at least similar? Thanks in advance for your help.

:confused:

I don’t think that there are plans for a booktype setting feature for the DVR-107 by anybody. Most older players can play DVD-R. Look for your model here. Maybe some of the other formats work mentioned there. You didn’t specify your model type for Proscan.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=proscan&Search=Search&orderby=Name

Some background on bitsetting:
Works for DVD+R only, is not supported in the DVD-R specs.
Is a hardware operation, cannot be forced by software. Requires supporting hardware and firmware and software.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Some background on bitsetting:
Works for DVD+R only, is not supported in the DVD-R specs.
Is a hardware operation, cannot be forced by software. Requires supporting hardware and firmware and software.

If you care to know.

The NU DDW-082 is able to set DVD-R discs to DVD-ROM. I don’t think it’s needed though - but it could do it.

How can that be? The DVD-R booktype information is pre-recorded in the physical DVD-R disc???

I think it depends on the reading drive. Some will only look at the lead-in/lead-out info and will see it as DVD-ROM. But others look only at the disc itself, and will see it as DVD+R or DVD-R regardless of the book-type setting.

Just for clarification:

DVD-R booktype code is pre-recorded on the discs
DVD+R / +RW booktype code can be set to all kinds by bitsetting feature (-R, -RW, DVD-ROM etc.)

The reading drive might look for this or the media code on the disc that CAN’T be modified. There are varoius standard media codes for -R /-RW /+R /+RW. Most reading drives ignore them and look at the booktype code. Best chances for recorded discs in standalone players are 1)DVD-R or 2) DVD+R /+RW with book set to DVD-ROM.

My Pioneer 106D seems to ignore the bitsetting on discs, it calls a DVD+R a DVD+R no matter what the book type is set as.

That’s strange… But the problem is most of the times with loaders in standalone players, not with PC drives.

See what my Pioneer DVR-105 says for a DVD+RW set and written to DVD-ROM on my NEC1300A:

Hehe – it’s the writers that can write to these + type discs. They won’t get fooled by the book type. And that’s a good thing - I think. Still the standalone loaders should only look at the booktype. Pure DVD-ROM readers as well.

See what my NEC1300A reports about the same disc above: