A World of Errors

this one:

DVD Decrypter:

I/O Error!
Device: (1:0:0) Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual X1 1.05 (F:)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 1D BC E0 0 00 01 00
Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 1948896

Sense Area: F0 00 03 00 1D BC E0 0E 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00 5C 16 00 41
Interpretation: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

DVD Shrink:

at 89%
DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. The error is:
Failed to read from file
The reason is: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

plus Clone DVD and Smart Ripper freezing at 88%. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

need help. desperately. i dont want to have to return this burner just because every software i use can’t do it. has anyone burned High Fidelity before?

jon (jonaschafer@msn.com)

You don’t have much time left to decide on a new nick. Check your PM

easy mate - i dont know how to even change my name. wanna tell me?

You tell me the new name and I change it

ok mate, easy easy. how about HobartTAS. is that a good one?
perhaps in the future you should ban certain words from even being registered, ya? cheers.

The four letter gerund doesn’t bother me. It’s the juxtaposition with “FORUM” and the caps (considered shouting) that pissed us off.

Same pass to login, btw.

righto. i guess it just made sense to me 'cause i kept registering and just kept not working. a man can only take so much, ya dig? i’m sure you do. thanks for understanding. now i know there is a hierarchy in learning the trades of ‘forums’.

ew boy, i guess im still a little PO’d by this situation. count to 10, i reckon. you know what i mean?

well anyway, have any idea about that error or my serious of posts on my 88% dilemma?

jon

[edit]

er whoops, ‘series’ of posts, not serious. i think thats my lingering anger seeping through the keyboard. cheers.

[edit]

You can edit your own posts, btw - FP

If DVD Decrypter can’t read a disc them it’s most likely defective in some physical way. That’s the short answer and the truth of it.

The CRC error also suggests that the disc is hosed. The “CDB” or command descriptor block error suggests that the burner was told to do something it couldn’t - meaning, that since there are no settings combinations that conflict, I suspect that the drive may be waxed. It is also not unheard of for a new unit to be one of those Friday lemons. Any problems with burning? What apps have you tried to burn with (CD/DVD) ?

On the other hand, a DMA issue (maybe cabling) is the root cause.

Forgot to ask: Maybe, in DVD Decrypter Settings, that your choice of I/O is bad. Is it SPTI? ASPI? ElbyCDIO?

well, if it wasn’t reading, then how could i see the vob/ifo/bup files? someone else came up with that idea, but i cant say that’s it.

it’s a pretty expensive Memerox drive, so i’m cancelling out the Lemon idea.

I used, thus far, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Clone DVD and SmartRipper. They all see the files, process the majority of em’ and then get stuck near the end (88%).

for now, im just trying to burn the main movie and Smart Ripper is brilliant for this.

umm…the DVD is fine, no scratches, there’s nothing in the burner that would affect it - brand new, bought yesterday.

what else?

and what’s ‘hosed’? never heard of that.

>well, if it wasn’t reading, then how could i see the vob/ifo/bup
>files? someone else came up with that idea, but i cant say that’s
>it.

Yeah, but it stops reading - that’s the problem isn’t it?

Rig configuration?
OS? version
drive configuration?

anything else you have to time to tell us.

Hosed? Y’know: screwed, wrecked, waxed, broken but in a microscopic way. It, too is not unheard of. I’m suggesting that the DVD is defective but not to the naked eye.

As FP has said, if DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, etc cant rip the files off the DVD then there is simply a problem with the disk or your reader, its as simple as that. Bad pressings are not unusual, I had to take one back 3 times to finally get one that I could read 100%, the whole batch was faulty.

Try cleaning the dvd with some alcohol on a tissue even if it looks clean as thin oily smears can make it unreadable.

Oh and by the way, even expensive Memorex units are made late Friday afternoon as well.

Rig configuration: HP Pavilion a220n, 2600 AMD Athlon, 512 MB RAM, erm…what else?
version: Smart Ripper 2.41, DVD Decrypter 3.1.70, Clone DVD 1.3.9.8, vStrip .8f
drive configuration: no idea what that means, um standard? haven’t screwed with it…

but if it was reading before and then started to screw up all of a sudden - do you still think its the disc?

ill try it with another disc. but assuming i get all those bloody files on my PC, do i just find the movie by the biggest file and burn it in Nero on a DVD UDF?

sort of off the topic, i took a DivX movie, turned it into a MPEG2 (4.03 GB), burned it on a DVD and it played, but stopped after about a half an hour - any ideas on why?

THANKS! I seriously appreciate all this help. It’s a mad world out there.

Originally posted by HobartTAS
[B]1) Rig configuration: erm…what else?

1. OS: Windows XP Home Edition

2. drive configuration: no idea what that means, um standard? haven’t screwed with it…

3. but if it was reading before and then started to screw up all of a sudden - do you still think its the disc?

4. ill try it with another disc. but assuming i get all those bloody files on my PC, do i just find the movie by the biggest file and burn it in Nero on a DVD UDF?

5. sort of off the topic, i took a DivX movie, turned it into a MPEG2 (4.03 GB), burned it on a DVD and it played, but stopped after about a half an hour - any ideas on why?

6. THANKS! I seriously appreciate all this help. It’s a mad world out there. [/B]

[list=1][]Motherboard brand? chipset? (nForce?)[]Service Pack 1? Antivirus program? ASPI installed? (version)[] Master/slave relationships - what is on each IDE cable? Is DMA enabled? (Device manager > controllers > properties)[]Reading what before? You mean another disc? I’m assuming that the programs each stopped at the same point on the one disc[]Biggest file set. Try CloneDVD to see how easy it is, then try DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode (press I on the KB). Nero can’t handle movie DVDs in this fashion. Burn with CloneDVD[]ChickenMan can answer that[*]You’re welcome[/list=1]

Motherboard brand? chipset? (nForce?)

1. No idea, no idea, nForce - yes.

Service Pack 1? Antivirus program? ASPI installed? (version)

1. no idea (how do you tell?), yes - Norton 2002, ASPI - yes, erm 3.something

Master/slave relationships - what is on each IDE cable? Is DMA
enabled? (Device manager > controllers > properties)

1. DVD Burner = Master, CDRW = CS, WHAT is on each IDE cable? not sure whatcha mean

Reading what before? You mean another disc? I’m assuming that the programs each stopped at the same point on the one disc

1. no no, it read it before. actually this is getting a bit complicated. i tried the rubbing alcohol trick and it worked fine. have been using Clone DVD, preserving the menu’s and I’ve sucessfully burned 5 DVDs. So I suppose I’ll stick with the DivX questions. FP? Any ideas?

2. So I guess my question now, is, why would someone ever bother will all those IFOEdit, VOBrator, DVD Decrypter files if Clone DVD is so simple?

Again, Cheers.

>IFOEdit, VOBrator, DVD Decrypter files if Clone DVD is so simple?

these are free tools

1. If you converted the avi to dvdr okay and it only plays part way through and then stops, you have a problem with the DVDR blanks or your DVD Player. Try different brand of media.

nah it burns fine. just stops halfway through watching it (like i said earlier). burner/media are fine. still no idea?

Faulty/crappy media does appear to write fine. No errors come up so you assume its fine. The problems come when trying to play it back though…

even if i can burn/copy commercials DVD’s fine but can’t burn/copy my existing DivX’s (converting them in TMPGE)?

well alright. you’re the big winner. media it is. ive been using Memorex DVD-'s.

what do you recommend Chickenman?

Cheers

Try anything Ritek G04 based, they are excellent for the price and available the world over.