A Windows 2000 (web)server experiment

Hi there all you experts ,

I’m getting quite annoyed at my current webserver and system (a mere windows 98 system with some software) , so i decided to grab another old Pentium II system and put Windows 2000 server on it.

The usage of this server will be as a webserver , ftp server , sus server and media share for the xbox media center. If there is room and cpu cycles left , perhaps a small forum in phpnuke or so.

Could you help me which is the best way to setup this server ? Just follow the leads and carry on ?

What’s most important , is that there’s only a 12 gig disk in it , little amount of ram (128 megs or so) and i don’t want many 3rd party products or other programs running. If i can manage everything with windows 2000 server’s own programs , i’d be happy to.

This will probably mean that there’ll be an IIS server running and the standard implementations suchs as EFS and IpSec. Can’t make it a NTLMv2 communication , because the Xbox works with standard SMB shares.

Any ideas ?

So far so good , IIS is running , ftp is running , web is running , even php is running :slight_smile:

Anyone who wants a simple installation manual on how to set up your own forum , check here.

But the SUS server crashed… and i can’t get it up and running anymore (whines). Already reinstalled, uninstalled , reinstalled , but to no avail. It’s not visible anymore on the webpages and it stays that way.

Seems i messed up some initial setting inside the IIS , but i’ll be damned if i can find it. http://website.com/SUSAdmin doesn’t work anymore :a :a :a

Forum and ftp work flawlessly though…

HELP !

Why not use Apache 2.X instead?
At least you don’t have to worry about it security-wise as much as with IIS.

Giving it a second thought your machine would most likely benefit from running a unix clone such as FreeBSD instead of Windows.
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
[B]Why not use Apache 2.X instead?
At least you don’t have to worry about it security-wise as much as with IIS.

Giving it a second thought your machine would most likely benefit from running a unix clone such as FreeBSD instead of Windows.
//Danne [/B]

That’ll be experiment 2. I’ve got OpenBSD 3.4 here and can install it as well. Point is , i know less of Linux than i know of Windows 2K.

Using Apache is IMHO quite useless for a Windows 2000 server. As mentioned i want as less 3rd party products running as possible. I wasn’t even happy with MySQL, but it seems you need a database somehow :slight_smile:

First of all, *BSD IS NOT Linux :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m not an experienced OpenBSD user but I guess it’ll do fine as long as you actually read the documentation (most users in general doesn’t seem to).

May I ask what’s wrong with 3rd party products on a Win32 platform? Many of them performs better than Microsoft’s own products and are a alot safer to use. Don’t forget to setup a firewall, if you don’t you’re doomed to get viruses etc.
If you insist on running Win2K I would use a setup like this one.

Webserver: Apache 2.0.X for Win32 + PHP 4.3.X
FTP Server: FileZilla FTP Server
DB Server: MySQL 3.23.X (Save mem)
//Danne

If you want to run a Linux server that is easy to setup, use Debian with APT.

A simple command like “apt-get install php” will install Apache and PHP for you… can’t get any easier :slight_smile:

Precompiled binaries aren’t a great idea on a low performance system and Open/FreeBSD has a package system that is called ports which is superior to apt-get if you ask me.
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
First of all, *BSD IS NOT Linux :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah yeah , i’ve seen to many UserFriendly comics about it :slight_smile:

I’m not an experienced OpenBSD user but I guess it’ll do fine as long as you actually read the documentation (most users in general doesn’t seem to).

It’s just experimentation. I once bought it with the idea of “What the hell , let’s try it once when i feel like it”. OpenBSD is built on security and practically nothing else. It might be a pain to configure it.

May I ask what’s wrong with 3rd party products on a Win32 platform? Many of them performs better than Microsoft’s own products and are a alot safer to use. Don’t forget to setup a firewall, if you don’t you’re doomed to get viruses etc.
If you insist on running Win2K I would use a setup like this one.

There’s nothing wrong with 3rd party products. I use a LOT of 3rd party products on my other systems. But the main goal of this experiment was to try it all in as less programs as possible. IIS seemed a good idea , but over the last three days , i’m gradually thinking it isn’t. Firewall isn’t really necessary because my entire network is already running via Smoothwall.

Part of the experiment was if to see if Windows is currently living up to its name. They promised a lot more security and stability over the last updates, service pack and patches.

The main reason to try these things is , because i’m also a member of the security team @ work. Best to try it in a lab or at home first ,before i deploy things to … say … 8000 customers worldwide.

Webserver: Apache 2.0.X for Win32 + PHP 4.3.X
FTP Server: FileZilla FTP Server
DB Server: MySQL 3.23.X (Save mem)
//Danne

I know the configuration , whenever i get the time , i’ll fiddle around with Linux … or *BSD :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

One other experiment i want to try is to run a completely configured web-/ftp-server on an unmodded Xbox.

But first i gotta get that damn SUS-Server up and running… damn thing won’t even start anymore… :a

Yes, OpenBSD is known to be secure out of the box but the performance leaves you dreaming. It’s not horribly slow nor incredibly fast although the network features are truely lovely (pf+altq). Don’t get too blinded by the secure reprutation though, about everything get as secure as you set it up to be.

Unless you really need asp support then IIS generally is a bad choice. Apache and PHP has better performance than IIS and there aren’t as many “security loopholes” as in IIS using default config.

My opinion is that if you really aren’t sure about what you’re doing then you shouldn’t setup a production server. I’ve seen too many with questionable knowledge and skill trying to be admins. Most of the time it results in unreliable services and unsatified customers due to incompetence.
//Danne