A way of fighting the phoenix/orbid bios

In case you dont know phoenix bios is set to release a drm bios that can open a whole set of problems from potentially corrupting files to opening a new security hole for viruses to fry your bios. It will also be the first big push to “manage” your pc so you loose control over what files you can and can’t use. the best way to fight this nonsense is financial since thats all these companies understand.

The following was a landmark settlement against toshiba and with documentation phoenix/orbid and oem’s that use the drm bios could also face similar lawsuits with similar evidence.

Wayne Reaud, who helped represent Texas in its lawsuit against Big Tobacco, managed to extract a $2.1 billion settlement from Toshiba Corp., after he filed a $9.5 billion lawsuit on behalf of 5 million consumers.
Toshiba, the world’s leading maker of laptop computers, decided to settle the lawsuit in October rather than take the risk of losing a bigger bundle in a Texas courtroom.
As a result, Reaud and a handful of lawyers at the Beaumont firm of Orgain, Bell & Tucker will divvy up $147.5 million in contingency fees.
Toshiba agreed to give cash rebates ranging from $210 to $443 to an estimated 1.8 million owners of Toshiba notebook computers bought since March 5, 1998, and to make discount coupons available to an additional 3.2 million owners.
The lawsuit was filed last March in federal court in Beaumont for two lead-plaintiffs who own Toshiba laptops - Ethan Shaw, a Beaumont lawyer, and Clive Moon, who lives in the Dallas suburb of Plano.
The men, who received $25,000 each from the settlement, claimed that the design flaw might, under extreme conditions, cause corruption or loss of data, when the laptops transferred data to a floppy disc.
Significantly, neither of the men claimed to actually have suffered any lost data or other damage as the result of the alleged flaw.
The genesis of the lawsuit was Wayne Reaud’s chance discovery that an IBM engineer in the 1980s found a logic flaw in the chip that controls the floppy drive in Toshiba’s laptop.
Japan’s NEC Corp., which makes the chip, said it has never received a single consumer complaint about the alleged defect.

from : http://www.tortreform.com/show_article.asp?articleID=74

I would hope that someone with more knowledge in how this bios has to alter files to allow for the tracking/drm to work would team up with a lawyer like that. I for one don’t want to loose control over my pc so someone who didn’t pay for it can tell me what i can and can’t do with it. I think only large payments will force this nonsense to end and the case is even better than that against toshiba since the whole point of a tracking drm system is infact to alter data. (to allow the tracking to take place)