A warning for those who might use the conversion program SUPER

vbimport

SUPER is a free conversion program available from ErightSoft Software. The results obtained from using it are notoriously poor, and so I don’t recommend it on that basis alone, but there is another problem with SUPER. It has a piece of malware/spyware attached to the installation program called OpenCandy.

This is Microsoft’s description of OpenCandy:
[I]Adware:Win32/OpenCandy is an adware program that may be bundled with certain third-party software installation programs. Some versions of this program may send user-specific information, including a unique machine code, operating system information, locale (country), and certain other information to a remote server without obtaining adequate user consent. These versions are detected by Microsoft’s anti-malware products.

[/I]Blocking installation of this malware during installation stops the entire installation process. My advice is not to use this program.

There are a lot of free alternatives that work better and have no suspicious addons. WinFF, Handbrake, AVStoDVD, Ripbot264…this list could go on for a while, depending on what type of conversion you need.

Thanks Kerry56!..Never actually thought Super was super at all…Now the others you mention, they are indeed super in there own way(s)…:iagree:

I have some old Super installation.exes but none have been installed for a long time.
If I ever thought I need Super for an unusual file I will just use one of the oldies.
Those never had any malware detected by the AV or Amalware I have.

Thanks for advice Kerry :slight_smile:

I never tried that software, but not I have one more reason to leave it alone :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2605207]I have some old Super installation.exes but none have been installed for a long time.
If I ever thought I need Super for an unusual file I will just use one of the oldies.
Those never had any malware detected by the AV or Amalware I have.[/QUOTE]

It would seem to be the case that the installer itself is clean but it downloads OpenCandy as part of the installation routine.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Dunno what´s up with Super. I´ve used it…but found other software that seems to do a better job, and is easier to set up too.

But, some say the OpenCandy thing is no big deal. Read
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=77890

While others say it´s totally evil
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339221-Is-Super-known-to-install-any-extras-other-than-OpenCandy?p=2108775#post2108775

And here´s how to get rid of it
http://www.malwaredictionary.com/2011/06/opencandy/

Two years ago Chip-Online said the rumours are rubbish http://forum.chip.de/downloads/super-video-converter-hat-malware-1167960.html

This dude said it well…and that´ll do for me too

Prospero424
Reviewing 2011.build.47 (Mar 15, 2011)
Yeah, it includes the same “Open Candy” spyware that MediaInfo does, which is why it’s being tagged as malware.
The interface is, to my mind, pretty awful. I don’t see any reason to use this over Handbrake, HDConvertToX, or MeGUI. And really, who wants their encoder to be their media player, especially when it’s this ugly?
Fatally flawed concept and execution saddled with spyware that doesn’t even ask before it runs. I don’t see how it gets much worse.

And if you are still here you are a masochist and should read http://www.technewsdaily.com/indestructible-malware-strain-infects-millions-pcs-2905/

:cool:

:eek:

:rolleyes:

MediaInfo is a pretty good tool though, and they offer you a version without OpenCandy, or you can opt out of using it during the regular install. Which I obviously prefer and recommend.

I’ve used Super in the past and was put off myself by the output quality. Besides quality, another issue I had was either the output aspect ratio or video size, as I use to have a handheld mediaplayer and remember having trouble matching the native resolution of with Super.

Over the past year/two, I’ve been mainly using the freeware converter XMedia Recode and am very happy with its performance and capabilities, so I would highly recommend this as an alternative. This converter has profiles for just about every media player and phone model out there and I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the notorious commercial converter spammers are simply customising the GUI of this to sell as their own product.

For those with an Apple product (e.g. iPhone/iPad), Handbrake is also another very good video converter.

I checked & the only Super installer I have is from 2009 . I doubt I will ever install Super again. I did check my firewall & Super is blocked for both inbound & outbound . I don’t remember why I did the blocks now but Super must have been doing something for me to have put them there.

btw deanimator the chip-online link is in German.

[QUOTE=cholla;2605327]
btw deanimator the chip-online link is in German.[/QUOTE]There is not very much information inside.

In very short:
A user reports that he checked “super” on virustotal.com and got warnings from 5 scanners.
The moderator thinks, these warnings might be false positives, perhaps due to runtime compression used.

This thread is two years old. It does not back up the assumption “super” contains malware, and it doesn’t back up the opposite either.

Michael

Thanks mciahel ,
I like most Americans don’t read or speak German. If you knew my last name that might suprise you but the German immigrant with that surname arrived in the British colonies here in 1720.
btw It’s not Hitler . :wink: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2605382]Thanks mciahel ,
I like most Americans don’t read or speak German.[/quote]Hehe, now you know what to do in the dark winter evenings :bigsmile:
Well seriously, posting a link to something which is not written in the official forum language, is not polite.

If you knew my last name that might suprise you but the German immigrant with that surname arrived in the British colonies here in 1720.
Not surprised at all. German immigrants were a large part of the population, and there was a hearsay that German [I]nearly [/I]became official language of the USA. No proof found.
But some other stuff to read if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_diaspora#North_America
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language#Overseas to begin with.

btw It’s not Hitler . :wink: :bigsmile:
facepalm

Michael

Actually I summarized what the link in question had to say, fully aware that not everyone can read German. I included it as an example of the messy misconceptions that exist out there. As you can see most “experts” have quite different opinions.
What I also suspect is that the moderator had a commercial interest in denying the rumors which have been circulating for several years ( which is why it is still valid). Chip-online peddles a link to downloading Super from their website which suggests they don’t do it for free…
I guess it’s clear then what that’s about.

End result: should be clear enough to not mess with anything that raises so many issues!

Cheers boys
:slight_smile:

Dean I thought that might be a summary below just wasn’t sure.
I thought you were just having fun with us anyway . Same for me when I pointed it out.

Thanks Cholla…

…and although this is WAAAY off topic, here´s a clear and factual explanation of the story about the official use of German in the USA http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/german.asp

Seems like we at least agree that, for whatever reason, Super is crap anyway :smiley:

[QUOTE=cholla;2605382]Thanks mciahel ,
I like most Americans don’t read or speak German. If you knew my last name that might suprise you but the German immigrant with that surname arrived in the British colonies here in 1720.
btw It’s not Hitler . :wink: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

meh. Use Chrome, right click, pick ‘Translate’. Easy Peasy, Herr Schickelgruber…:doh:

[QUOTE=cholla;2605382] btw It’s not Hitler . :wink: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Rather surprisingly some of Hitler’s closest relatives did move to and live in America. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Here´s a fairly recent thread on the Chip-Online forum ([B]IN GERMAN[/B]), but the gist of it is the same:
another “experienced user” detected problems with SUPER and asked the mods what they thought. Two mods answered that it´s probably nothing…offered a long string of excuses (like in the earlier link), but the OP didn´t buy it and stated that [B]he would prefer to give SUPER a wide berth from now on.[/B] :clap:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2605615](another thread on Chip online) Two mods answered that it´s probably nothing…offered a long string of excuses (like in the earlier link)[/quote]and finally admitted that there is “phone home” that can’t be blocked without rendering the software useless.

but the OP didn´t buy it and stated that [B]he would prefer to give SUPER a wide berth from now on.[/B] :clap:
Both mods in that thread concluded “stay clear” also. In the end. The initial statement of one of these mods (“there is no malware inside”) was hilarious. :bigsmile:

Well, forum mods. Why do users expect expertise from them? :confused:

Michael

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

I just installed it. After I realized it hijacked my browser, installing some lame toolbar, I uninstalled it.

Now I’m running Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware. Oh, joy.

I just needed to get a damn WMV to play from a DVD.